Feedback on my sounds

Started by
4 comments, last by CCH Audio 8 years, 2 months ago

Hi everybody,

this is my first post here on Gamedev.net, so happy to meet you all! I'm an electronic artist and sound designer, my work mostly consists in manipulating unusual, non-musical sounds and translate them in samples and instruments.

I enjoy a lot also creating sounds for video games, I still do not have any experience in this field but it would be fun and exciting; here's a collection of game sounds that I have on my AudioJungle account, I would love to have some feedback.

THank you in advance,

all the best

Giuseppe

http://audiojungle.net/item/fighting-game-pack/13728616

Advertisement

I'm not very good with sound, or discerning good sound from bad sound - so keep that in mind with my opinion.

But, from what I can discern, the quality is decent, the sounds are ok, but I would never spend the money on your sound packs on that site. You really only have a handful of sound effects, often repeated with slight modifications. Modifications I could make myself to a base sample, even with very limited sound skills.

I've bought sound packs before. I think I paid 50-60 bucks or something, but there were tons of different types of sounds, not just slightly altered versions of 1 or two sounds. There was everything from engine-like sounds to explosions, gunshots, more arcade-gamey-sounds, space lasers, etc etc. Nothing you've got in your samples isn't something that's not already in a dozen sound packs.

Most of the time I've needed sounds, they were fairly specific and I needed to combine and alter multiple samples to get what I needed. For example, the last sound I needed was a robot footstep. I needed to alter and combine a servo, a dirt-hit, a metal-scrape, and a thud to get what I wanted. The one before that I need a "railgun" sound. I needed to combine an electrical buzz with a muted gunshot, and a "charge up" sound. The charge-up sound itself had to be custom made from a heavily altered electrical buzz, since i couldn't find an appropriate sample anywhere.

Personally, what I think would be more useful is a library of cleaned up random sound samples for use in making custom sounds. What I've used most of the time is FreeSoundProject files. Unfortunately, copyright issues and quality issues are a problem with their samples. Pre-made sounds really only work for the most generic of games or for prototypes.

awesome concepts. The sound may be decent but I think he is just trying to show us an example is all SirWeeble

I like your sounds, man, especially "outer space pack". Very cinematic and chilling. :)

Cheers and good luck

It's pretty good, although the punch sounds, sound a lot like 6000 series, I'm not sure if you used it as source material? Obviously there's nothing wrong with using library sounds, but if you hear them a lot in other things it can be distracting in game.

It's pretty good, although the punch sounds, sound a lot like 6000 series, I'm not sure if you used it as source material? Obviously there's nothing wrong with using library sounds, but if you hear them a lot in other things it can be distracting in game.

Good call, the impacts do sound a lot like the Sound Ideas 6000 series.

Also it sounds like they're panned left and then right. Unless it's a pass-by for something like a car or a plane this make them pretty unusable. In a game you want the effect centered and then your audio engine (Fmod, WWise, etc) is going to place them in the stereo/surround field. Even in a linear post-production format I'd rather have them centered and then change them myself. Basically pre-panned effects don't re-pan easily.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement