• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help me get started with my 2D Unity Game.

This topic is 872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So the thing is, me and my friend are planning to develop a 2D RPG Game similar to this one: 

\

I also want the same type of battle system like in 6:27 in the video i linked or in this:

It will need a character creation in the beginning before the main story begins. Through the story, the character will be able to level up new abilities and make himself stronger to fight new bosses. I also want to add ingame purchases to get xp boosts for faster levling etc. And i also need a multiplayer mode, via bluetooth or something, where they only battle each other. Its a offline game, but it will have the multiplayer 1 versus 1 mode where they can battle each other via bluetooth or something with the characters they have from the offline story.

What would be the best way to start this project? How would the structure be? Any tips for this? We got some basic knowlegde in both java and C# programming. Which language would be the best for this project? We are going to use the Unity game engine. Would unity alone be enough, or will we need some other sdks and stuff?

Thanks for the answer in advance!

Advertisement
My advice is to start somewhere small.

A project like this has a lot of complexity and, given that you posted this in the "For Beginners" forum, I'm assuming that you don't know enough about coding or Unity to implement the features you want. Keep in mind that character customization, battle systems, and experience systems are very complex. As someone who made the mistake of starting with a complex game with a large scope, I can honestly say that it's a frustrating process. I never felt like I really did anything because there was a lot of stuff I didn't know how to do, and I was constantly running into set-backs. I honestly wanted to give up making games because I was so annoyed by the whole process. I don't want you to make the same mistake.

A project like this cannot be done from someone with your skill level. I recommend working on simpler projects to learn how to use Unity. Build your way up as a developer and, when you're confident that this project is feasible, then you can get back to it.

I too recommend starting with smaller games. MUCH smaller than an RPG. Here's a great article that explains which games you should make first and why:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

But to answer your other question, yes Unity alone should be enough to do nearly everything there. You'll need to generate your art somewhere in something like Paint.NET. And some audio software. But you can also make use of the Unity Asset store and buy (or sometimes get for free) different assets. There are also free art and sound assets available online usually with some sort of attribution license.

If you're dead set on making an RPG and won't start out smaller like we suggested, I recommend a more focused engine for your needs like RPGMaker. You'll have less control over what you can do, but you'll be able to generate an RPG much faster than coding one from scratch.

- Eck

Pretty funny you picked Final Fantasy. Whenever game devs talk about ridiculous projects newbies should never attempt, they always include Final Fantasy.

You won't be able to do this. Start smaller. Learn C#. Learn how pixel art animation works (Graphics Gale is said to be good)

Also, JRPGs are listed the hardest kind of game to make by a few websites/YouTube channels. Try something like a platformer first.

Edited by Ovicior

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement