"Program" start-up in windows 10

Started by
7 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 8 years, 4 months ago

So I just upgraded to windows 10 today, and after almost a day of usage, I took a look at the Start-up tab in Task Manager.

There I see listed:

Program, literally, the name listed is "Program". It says that it's enabled, and the startup impact is not measured. There's no data about the publisher.

For the people who run windows 10: do you have it listed in the Start-up list too? (im a bit suspicious)

Advertisement

I don't have that no

Not that I see, no.

Nope, sounds suspect. What does it display if you choose "Open file location" or "Properties" in the context menu?

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Sounds to me like a malformed startup entry.

The developer was supposed to put "C:\Program Files" in quotes and left off the quotes, so windows tries and fails to start C:\Program...

I've seen this before and usually it's fixed by taking out the broken startup entry.

The developer was supposed to put "C:\Program Files" in quotes and left off the quotes, so windows tries and fails to start C:\Program...

I've seen this before and usually it's fixed by taking out the broken startup entry.

Yeah, you're right. I can reproduce exactly what the OP describes on Windows 10 using any number of nonsensical registry entries.

It also looks like there's no way to identify exactly which key is the problem using the task manager, but this "obsolete" program still works fine.

Yeah, you're right. I can reproduce exactly what the OP describes on Windows 10 using any number of nonsensical registry entries.

It also looks like there's no way to identify exactly which key is the problem using the task manager, but this "obsolete" program still works fine.

So I enabled the "Command line" tab for Task manager(I genuinely didn't know there's that option until now), and there it actually lists the path, which guess what, leads to outlook.

With that app that cowsarenotevil suggested, it actually gets listed as outlook 2013!

So I enabled the "Command line" tab for Task manager(I genuinely didn't know there's that option until now)

Yeah, neither did I. I always forget that the column label bar even has a context menu.

I had it too, and in my case it was EaseUS partition manager registered via HKLM\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\run (remembering to check in WOW6432Node too) as C:\Program Files (x86)\EaseUS etc. The command-line tab in Task Manager shows "C:\Program" Files (x86)\EaseUS\etc so the program registered itself without quotes. I seem to remember that Raymond Chen had a blog post about this kind of thing.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement