Questions on Baked GI Spherical Harmonics

Started by
19 comments, last by DASTech 8 years, 2 months ago

In the next week or so, I'm going to start implementing Baked GI for my custom engine. I'm not too familiar with Spherical Harmonics(SH), but I'm planning on doing some more research to understand the math behind applying SH to GI.

For Baked GI my plan is:

1. Offline, for each light probe in the scene
  2. At run-time, I linearly interpolate the SH coefficients for an object on the CPU.
  3. Finally, I feed the SH coefficients to the GPU for each object. (This is done when I am creating the GBuffer.)

Questions:

• Is this a viable method to Bake GI and use it at run-time? I've looked through some old posts on this forum and this is what I could piece meal together; but I maybe completely missing the ball. rolleyes.gif
  • How do I interpolate between the SH coefficients (this is kind of a multi-part question):
    • In Unity, it appears that they find the smallest fitting simplex of light probes that contains the center of the object. LightProbes-characterandprobes.png
    • How do I find that smallest fitting simplex?
    • Once I find probes to interpolate between, can I just use bilinear/trilinear interpolation on each of the coefficients?
  • Is there a way to defer applying the SH coefficients?

I'm currently only looking at Baking GI as most of the Dynamic GI that I've researched is out of my breadth at the moment.

Thanks for reading all that!

Advertisement

Just a quick semi answer whilst glancing over your question.....

Here's the GDC presentation by Robert Cupisz

http://gdcvault.com/play/1015312/Light-Probe-Interpolation-Using-Tetrahedral

And a link to his website he's reposted the slides and a video with some more info.
http://robert.cupisz.eu/post/75393800428/light-probe-interpolation

Check out my project @ www.exitearth.com

The approach that you described is definitely workable, and has been successfully used in many shipping games. For the conversion from cubemap->SH coefficients, there's some pseudocode in this paper that you might find useful. You can also take a look at the SH class from my sample framework for a working example of projecting a cubemap onto SH, as well as the code from the DirectXSH library (which you can also just use directly in your project, if you'd like).

To interpolate SH, you just interpolate all of the coefficients individually. The same goes for summing two sets of SH coefficients, or multiplying a set of SH coefficients by a scalar.

The presentation that REF_Cracker linked to should help you get started with tetrahedral interpolation. Another possible approach is just store samples in a 3D grid, or multiple 3D grids. Grids are super simple for looking up and interpolating, since they're uniform. This is what we did on The Order: the lighting artists would place OBB's throughout the level, and for each OBB we would fill the grid with samples according to their specified sample density. Each grid would then be stored in a set of 3D textures, which would be bound to each mesh based on whichever OBB the mesh intersected with. The in the pixel shader the pixel position would be transformed into the local space of the OBB, and the coordinates would be used to fetch SG coefficients using hardware trilinear interpolation (we used spherical gaussians instead of spherical harmonics, but the approach is basically the same). This let us have per-pixel interpolation without having to lookup a complex data structure inside the pixel shader. However this has a few downsides compared to a tetrahedral approach:

1. You generally want a lot of samples in your grid for good results, which means that that you have to be okay with dedicating that much memory to your samples. It also means that you want your baking to be pretty quick. Cubemap rendering isn't always that great for this, since the GPU can only render to one cubemap at a time. We use a GPU-based ray tracer to bake our GI, and that lets us bake many samples in parallel.

2. Since you don't have direct control over where each sample is placed, you're bound to end up with samples that are buried inside of geometry. This can give you bad results, since the black samples will "bleed" into their neighbors during interpolation. To counteract this, we would detect "dead" samples and then flood-fill them with a color taken from their neighbors.

1. You generally want a lot of samples in your grid for good results, which means that that you have to be okay with dedicating that much memory to your samples. It also means that you want your baking to be pretty quick. Cubemap rendering isn't always that great for this, since the GPU can only render to one cubemap at a time. We use a GPU-based ray tracer to bake our GI, and that lets us bake many samples in parallel.

2. Since you don't have direct control over where each sample is placed, you're bound to end up with samples that are buried inside of geometry. This can give you bad results, since the black samples will "bleed" into their neighbors during interpolation. To counteract this, we would detect "dead" samples and then flood-fill them with a color taken from their neighbors.

Remedy (Quantum Break) dealt with this nicely by using essentially a sparse multi-scale grid: http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2015/SIGGRAPH_2015_Remedy_Notes.pdf

Increase probe density near geometry, decrease via octree as you get farther away from contributing geometry. Less probes and less memory.

Just a quick semi answer whilst glancing over your question.....

Here's the GDC presentation by Robert Cupisz

http://gdcvault.com/play/1015312/Light-Probe-Interpolation-Using-Tetrahedral

And a link to his website he's reposted the slides and a video with some more info.
http://robert.cupisz.eu/post/75393800428/light-probe-interpolation

Thanks for the references!

Another possible approach is just store samples in a 3D grid, or multiple 3D grids. Grids are super simple for looking up and interpolating, since they're uniform.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually may try going this route to start off with. How do you handle blending between two 3D grids?

The approach that you described is definitely workable, and has been successfully used in many shipping games. For the conversion from cubemap->SH coefficients, there's some pseudocode in this paper that you might find useful. You can also take a look at the SH class from my sample framework for a working example of projecting a cubemap onto SH, as well as the code from the DirectXSH library (which you can also just use directly in project, if you'd like).

These will help me out a ton thanks!

Remedy (Quantum Break) dealt with this nicely by using essentially a sparse multi-scale grid: http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2015/SIGGRAPH_2015_Remedy_Notes.pdf

Thanks for the alternate approach. I'll probably look more into this after I get a basic version of Baked GI using Uniform Grids working.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually may try going this route to start off with. How do you handle blending between two 3D grids?

We didn't. Every object sampled from only one grid at a time, which was chosen by figuring out the closest grid with the highest sample density. There were never any popping issues as long as there was some overlap between the two grids, and an object could be located inside of both simultaneously.

Each grid would then be stored in a set of 3D textures, which would be bound to each mesh based on whichever OBB the mesh intersected with

I'm attempting to go this route in terms of using the SH coefficients, but I am still unclear on some details. Would this approach mean that I would need to store all 27 SH coefficients (as I need one for each channel) into 3D textures? If so, then I can probably store them all into 7 to 9 3D textures. Am I on the right track?

Yes, you'll either need to use multiple textures or atlas them inside of 1 large 3D texture (separate textures is easier). It would be a lot easier if GPU's supported 3D texture arrays, but unfortunately they don't.

So it took awhile because of the holiday, but I finally got around to implementing everything. Now I am just trying to make sure everything is correct.

Here is a picture of what I have so far:

49SFLp4.png

Robin Green's paper was super helpful. A lot of it still went over my head, but I've been able put together a few things.

I have a 3D grid of light probes like MJP suggested. I'm rendering a cubemap for every light probe and processing the cube map to construct 9 SH coefficients from it for each color channel. When rendering the cubemap, I apply some ambient lighting to every object in order to account for objects in shadow. (I wasn't to sure about this one)

I'd like to try attempting to get the nice occlusion that Ready At Dawn has in their Siggraph presentation pg. 18 (http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2015-shading-course/rad/s2015_pbs_rad_slides.pdf). How do I get something like this?

I'm also wondering if anything looks really wrong with my current implementation.

Robin Green's paper was super helpful. A lot of it still went over my head, but I've been able put together a few things.

I have a 3D grid of light probes like MJP suggested. I'm rendering a cubemap for every light probe and processing the cube map to construct 9 SH coefficients from it for each color channel. When rendering the cubemap, I apply some ambient lighting to every object in order to account for objects in shadow. (I wasn't to sure about this one)

I'd like to try attempting to get the nice occlusion that Ready At Dawn has in their Siggraph presentation pg. 18 (http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2015-shading-course/rad/s2015_pbs_rad_slides.pdf). How do I get something like this?

I'm also wondering if anything looks really wrong with my current implementation.

Generally an offline raytracer is used for baking indirect illumination, rather than just an ambient term. Shoot rays with bounces all around and gather. Also what exactly do you mean "occlusion" like RaD? What occlusion specifically?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement