• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VenturaGames

How to make a sports management game like Football manager?

This topic is 951 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make a game like football manager, for a different sport but not nearly as complex as FM. The sport is unknown but similair to basketball

I am a complete newbie at programming. I don't even know what language to use or how to do it.

I won't be making animations, I want to press start in a game and then see like a "news feed" stating what "happens" in the match.

The actions have to be influenced by the players skills and weeknesses. and also luck. If that is even possible. so for example:

Stats are 0-100

Player 1

Stats

Rebounding: 80

(...)

------

Player 2

stats

rebounding: 70

(...)

so then player 1 will be more likely to get the rebound, but that shouldn't mean that he always gets the rebound because the stat is higher.

So:

-what is the best language/programme to use?

-how do I do that?

-do you have a helpful video tutorial/articel which can help beginners?

Thanks in advance

Edited by VenturaGames

Advertisement
How do you want to present the information to the player?

One of the first successful games I wrote was played by filling out paper forms.

It was basically a fantasy sports league where a batch process printed out a report for each of up to 40 players. Each player paid for membership on a weekly basis.

To play they filled in a simple form and returned it (written form) and I entered their choices into the system with the batch run.

This would then calculate the turn before printing out the sheets.

Such a game can be done by a relative newbie in a couple of weeks and these days could use email, twitter or similar to make decisions and publish match results.

I wrote this at age 13 while in school and made a little money from it. It ran on a 128kb ram computer running at 2mhz with a dot matrix printer. Batch runs took two hours, most of that time waiting on the printer.

This wasn't a football or any popular sport, by the way, but at the time there were many similar games around based on football.

Food for thought... :)

Made a basketball management game as my FYP in college earlier this year. I used C++ for development but also python for tools and analysis stuff, but I think any language would suit. It was all based on working with probabilities. Wasnt the best work but I did well in the few months I worked on it. Most calculations used a players ability, external factors (defenders, distance for pass/shot etc..) and some random noise so its not always the same. It simulated each decision of the players (both the ball handler and others) by looking at their possible options and calculating a value for each option. These would act as weights in a probability check. So any option could be chosen but the bigger weights are more likely to be chosen. Id advise looking up probabilities, simulations and sports analysis to get some more help. Not sure how useful any of that will be useful but it might help get you started.

Also out of curiousity whats the sport?

I actually worked on one of the FIFA manager games for mobile.  Before we started programming the game one of the producers and one of the designers actually wrote the whole thing in Excel.  We then just ported what they'd written into a Java game engine and added some graphics.

I want to present the stats in a list with all the stats under eachother. but I want the match to be running real time. Is that possible then?

I want to have players in the game who can develop over time, and an ability to generate names for youth players.

also this is the sport:

Korfball:

/    

Everything you are talking about is definitely possible. You would simulate the match and present the stats of the teams/players and update them as events occur in the match. Simulating the events is the most important thing you will have to deal with in a game like this. It has to be accurate but at the same time have enough randomness that its not always the same thing happening. The other two things you mention are very straight forward to implement.

In terms of going forward with this you have few things you need to do. One side is the research, analysis and mathematical side of things. This is for developing the way events are simulated in the game. This can be done on paper or in something like excel as said earlier because its just a lot of numbers. The other side is to actually start learning to program.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!