A simple question about how to gather the funds and experience to enter the industry

Started by
4 comments, last by ApochPiQ 8 years, 4 months ago

My simple question would be: would writing books provide the experience and (if successful) funds to enter the game industry?

The reason I'm asking this is because I've had issues with attempting to create games in the past; I understand (to a degree) how the process works, but none of the short-term projects that I present to myself are completed. Combine this with the fact that I'm not very knowledgeable about code (and have always found that hard to learn), I mostly see my place in the industry as a storyboarder, scriptwriter, and screenwriter. Given the fact that all of that requires writing (which I do have a wealth of training at), I believe that if I write novels and novellas to build writing experience and (possibly) funds, I might be able to enter the industry with a stable footing.

In addition, I am actually still in high-school, and really don't have the resources to make what I deem a good game. As I said, I am more of a writer than a coder or businessman, so the easiest path into the industry that I see would be to write a book, see if it is successful, then potentially work as the storyboarder for an adaption/tie-in to the book.

On top of that, skilled storywriters are in high demand in a medium in which plot is becoming more important and integral to the experience that it provides. Given that the industry needs skilled individuals in all of its major positions if it is to avoid the fate of Hollywood, so one more skilled scriptwriter wouldn't hurt anything.

To any of the more experienced members of the site, do you think that this is a viable strategy to break into the industry?

Advertisement
If you want to be a writer and writing is your passion then yes, writing is probably something you should be doing.

However, it is unlikely you will be publishing a book about the game development process without having experience in the area. Write about the things you know.

You will still need to gain experience, and be aware that game writer job openings are few and far between. Network with others to discover needs before they become public job postings. Also read some books like "What Color Is Your Parachute?" for good ideas about how to identify and tap in to those hidden jobs before they reach the masses.

If you are passionate for other roles, then those other roles are the ones you should pursue.

I don't actually plan to write a book about the game development process, but thanks anyways.

Also, my major business plan is as follows: I actually plan to write to get some money together, then form a small indie studio by the time I'm out of high-school, and then eventually find a job at a larger studio or build my indie studio from a combination of game and book successes.

I'm not sure if that's exactly viable, since I know indie games alone will not get the studio AAA resources any time soon.

What do you think of that business plan?

I actually plan to
1. write to get some money together, then
2. form a small indie studio by the time I'm out of high-school, and then
3.a. eventually find a job at a larger studio or
3.b.build my indie studio from a combination of game and book successes.
What do you think of that business plan?

Step 1: what's your plan to get money from writing? YES, you should write. But how does that turn to money?
Step 2: what's your plan to form a studio? You'll be a writer, correct? It's unusual for a writer to be the core of a game studio.
Step 3.a.: you'll probably need a degree to get a job - is college/university part of your plan?
Step 3.b.: you'll probably need a business degree if you want to own your own company - so, same question as for 3.a. above.

I'm not sure what your primary goal is - if it's to form a business, then this thread should move to the Business/Law forum. If it's to get a job/career in games, then this is he right forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hrmm...Hrmm... good advice...

Thing is, I'm still actually considering a career path by this point, so I might not actually go to a conventional college to get a degree (and by that extent, I won't be much of a game developer); I'm partially considering a career in law enforcement.

However, there is this one game idea that I am simply dying to create, and I actually would like some help with it once I have written every aspect of it out on a series of documents.

The reason I asked those questions was due to this.

In addition, I believe that the industry needs good writers.

It may just be a silly stereotype, but there's a silly stereotype of the "starving author" for a reason. I don't think it would be wise to assume you can make any appreciable money that way, certainly not the kind of money it takes to launch a business.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement