How to create an animation set from the IK solver?

Started by
2 comments, last by Norman Barrows 8 years, 4 months ago

The IK solver is currently running in real time.
And I want to blend it with some prebaked animations like reaching and searching etc
Therefore, I need to generate some keyframes for each bone.
How do I convert the IK into keyframes, so that I can generate a animation set for the
agent's animation controller?
Thanks
Jack

Advertisement
Why do you need key frames for your IK controller? Doesn't it make more sense to compute a pose from IK, compute a pose from interpolating between key frames in your prebaked animations and then blend those two poses? Blending poses after interpolating would make sense to me even if you weren't using IK at all, so you wouldn't have to force all your animations to use the same times for key frames.

How do I convert the IK into keyframes, so that I can generate a animation set for the
agent's animation controller?

Exactly how to do it differs from software you use the basic idea is that you record the visual position of each object.

If you use Blender, animate the IK rig, move the timeline to the key frame, hit the I-Key and select Visual LocRotScale. Delete the IK bones and play the animation, you should now have it as a key frame.

However almost all game engines these days can use IK rigs, or will convert to normal key frames when importing.

With a proper rig, merging normal animations with IK is easy. There should be some kind of switch that turns IK off when you work with the normal animation.

sounds like Alvaro's got a good approach to the problem. especially if you're not using an off-the-shelf engine that directly imports your IK data - which i suspect is the case here.

+1

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement