• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GreenAce92

What do I need to develop a game that runs online and connects multiple players?

This topic is 1103 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am aware of WAMP routers, I'm not sure if that is what you would use for multiplayer online.

I am aware of Unity and Unreal, I'm also a fan of Google Sketchup. I'm also a LAMP stack web developer. Have worked with Java, Python, and C++.

What I'm looking for is 3D with physics, graphics may be limited to network performance but perhaps a download could be used... not sure if that makes sense where texture is kept locally or something to person's computer.

I don't know why I want to set it up as an online game.

The kind of game I'm looking to make is an open world with the ability to create stuff with physcis eg. flying vehicles, driving vehicles, weapons, etc... but does not need to be spectacular in graphics, just online capable.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on easiest or what I should look to accomplish this.

This is more of a general interest post, my life isn't dedicated to this, have other stuff to do unfortunately.

But I would appreciate as much information as anyone is willing to contribute, links, articles, etc...

Thanks

Advertisement

Thanks for the relocation.

Just to further boil down my question, I would like to use SketchUp to develop the 3D Models and then whatever is friendliest to a noob game creator to get it online and working with basic physics like gravity, conservation of momentum, etc...

Edited by GreenAce92

The kind of game I'm looking to make is an open world with the ability to create stuff with physcis eg. flying vehicles, driving vehicles, weapons, etc... but does not need to be spectacular in graphics, just online capable.

It depends entirely on what you want to do. The field is wide open.

There are existing tools and infrastructure for many different kinds of games. You mentioned Unreal and Unity, both have online capabilities. Unreal is better suited to FPS-style games where shared precision is important, Unity is better for coarse-grained situations. Both require planning, thoughtful design, and careful implementation even though features are built in and available within the engines.

There are games that coordinate all they need through simple web servers and REST calls, other games that build comprehensive communications protocols for low-latency communications across the global Internet. Different approaches can work for different needs and different implementation details.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!