• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DeadlyTitan

Android Game C++ SFML or Android Studios Or C# Monogame ?

This topic is 1015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all ^^

Am a rookie programmer, and i want to make an MMORTS game like OGame but for Android.I am good at Oracle, SQL, Java and about average at C++ (with little over 6 months training in my college) 

so i got a question please dont jump of me if i said something wrong or ignorant, cause am still a rookie just starting into the world if programming 

the game will be pretty much like Ogame but with little animations (u know like blinking lights on buildings and some very basic and simple ship battle animation). Other than that most of the game will be text based just like Ogame 

build buildings 

research tech 

build ships

farm others 

harvest resources 

should i use C++ with SFML(Simple and Fast Media Library) or should i start with Android Studio ? Or C# And Monogame ?

the thing is i want to implement in app purchases and ads and premier memberships. 

can i do that in a game written in C++ using SFML and ported to android platform? or am i better off using Android Studio cause it will be easier to incorporate them into my game using Android Studio. 

my concern about using Android Studio is i dont see it having a good 2D library, or atleast a capable one like  SFML and one of my seniors said 2D libraries in android studio are primitive and a pain to use 

please suggest me which one to pick ? 

we are a team of 2 members 
am the programer and one of my friend who is a rookie designer 

Advertisement

At your experience level, I think you should begin with something a bit more within your grasp. It may sound condescending to say "if this if your first Android project, it should be Pong"... but most browser-based games are actually pretty complex things. You should either start with a simpler Android project, or a simpler multiplayer game project.

On the plus side, there's a lot of people who got to these wants before you. Here is a list of open-source browser-based game projects you can study:

https://freevps.us/thread-7746.html

That's not going to help you with finding a good toolchain and library to use for Android development, but it should help dip your toes into the scale of the thing you're asking about.

Seconding the concerns about experience.

You've got this list:

* an MMORTS game like OGame but for Android.
* little animations (u know like blinking lights on buildings and some very basic and simple ship battle animation)
* text based just like Ogame 
* build buildings 
* research tech 
* build ships
* farm others 
* harvest resources 
* in app purchases
* ads
* premier memberships. 

* we are a team of 2 members 

Do you and your designer teammate know how to implement all those things? Those things look like a lot of work even for a professional team.

There is a reason developers should start small and slowly grow. Recommendations are generally to start with simple projects like a pong clone (a single bouncing ball) or tetris (a single falling block) and slowly increase your skills.

Do you, right now, have the experience and knowledge that you could immediately build those parts?

If you have the experience and background in creating all those pieces listed above then you wouldn't be asking the question of which libraries to use. You would know those really won't make much of a difference in the project you described.

Start much smaller. Then use either library, or both libraries in different small projects.

well i had my little experience in working with android systems but, so far nothing explicitly done on android studios, i have friends who made games unity and i myself have a bit of an experience in using unity helping my friends but, free version of unity only provides soo much and as a student i cannot afford to buy that so, i was interested in android studios but have no prior experience with it. 

also adding in app purchases/ads/premier membership with android studios seems really easy cause i have gone through the documentation and they provide step by step procedure along with examples ^^ 

my only concern is i dont want to get stuck with something that limits my project due to lack of proper 2D libraries as my seniors pointed out. 

well i had my little experience in working with android systems but, so far nothing explicitly done on android studios, i have friends who made games unity and i myself have a bit of an experience in using unity helping my friends but, free version of unity only provides soo much and as a student i cannot afford to buy that so, i was interested in android studios but have no prior experience with it. 

also adding in app purchases/ads/premier membership with android studios seems really easy cause i have gone through the documentation and they provide step by step procedure along with examples ^^ 

my only concern is i dont want to get stuck with something that limits my project due to lack of proper 2D libraries as my seniors pointed out. 

Mm..sorry, but..android studio is just an IDE isn't it? Or I'm missing something? and about free version of unity probably has everything you need, or do you want to access to its source for some reason?

Mm..sorry, but..android studio is just an IDE isn't it? Or I'm missing something? and about free version of unity probably has everything you need, or do you want to access to its source for some reason?

Android Studio Is An SDK, Supposedly It Contains Everything U Need To Develop And Android App But Its Still Primitive (Excuse me if its not primitive anymore)

and about the Unity yes most of its features are free .. but the addition of in app purchases and other commercial features are locked by a paywall (i dont blame them)   

i just want to know if its possible to implement commercial features (in app purchases, premier accounts etc etc) if i make my app using C++ and port it to android or if android studio is good enough to proceed. 

Yes, it is possible.

However, it is not easy.  There is a lot of work involved.  Many of the tasks require a certain amount of skill and experience and tools.  

If you have the skill and experience and tools the tasks are straightforward.  If you do not have the skill and experience and tools many of the tasks will likely be overwhelming.

Considering your skill and experience level stated -- 6 months in college and a rookie programmer -- it will probably be more work than you expect.

Look over your list again.  Do you know how to do all the things?  I'm not asking if you have read a tutorial somewhere, but if you actually know how to do those things.

It is akin to building any other complex system. As an automobile parallel: Rebuilding an engine is work but still an understandable task for an experienced auto mechanic; rebuilding an engine is far beyond the skill level of a novice. Even if you've got manuals and guide books they can only help you out so much, you still need to a certain level of experience and skill and tools.

Look over all the things you want to do.  Figure out all the steps.  If you've got a reasonable understanding of how to do all the parts it is fine to jump in.  If you don't have a good understanding of what to do, you may be in for a few big surprises once you get started.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!