Official GBA development kit...

Started by
11 comments, last by Boulton 22 years, 5 months ago
Where, in the name of God, can I find information on ordering or getting hold of the Official GBA development kit???? (regardless of its cost) Anyone??? Pepa108@hotmail.com -------------------
N. Boulton
Advertisement
From Nintendo?
yes...
N. Boulton
Unfortunatly, it appears that what many have told me is true. Getting a GBA dev kit isn''t about talking to Nintendo, it''s about them talking to you.

Yep, everybody I''ve talked to that seems to know what they are talking about (most work for companies which do GBA dev) says that you don''t go looking for N, it comes looking for you.

Sad isn''t it? Well, i have to say M$ making a handheld system would be a good thing... M$''s current approach makes it easy for anyone to start deving.... I say that, and I''m as anti-M$ as the next guy....
thanx. Know any other hand held systems that I, joe public, can develop for?
N. Boulton
i believe that you cannot buy the gba dev kit. Don''t quote me on this, but it might be the same with other nintendo systems. Notice at stores, you only see certain companies selling gba games. I think as the last person said, nintendo has to come to you.

Think of it like this though, if you could buy the gba dev kit, a lot of other people would buy it too and make games. That next time you go to your video game seller, check at the gba section. Look how good the games are, well, for the most part. If you could distribute it to anyone, there would be a whole lot more games and a whole lot more sucky games. I''m happy that there arn''t very many.
I''ve heard of a couple... None that are very popular, or available at all in the US.
I''ve heard from some that they have made games for their Cybiko (is that thing even still around?) and you could try making Palm or Pocket PC
HI if you are interested in gba development check out devrs.com/gba and gbadev.org . I do my own gba development without "official devkit" (which you have to pay a lisence fee of $5000 I think) anyway there are free compilers and tools you can use.
me too, there is tons of info on developing on the gba. you can get the hardware at lik-sang.com. and the free gcc compiler can be used to target the processor in the gba. i think gbadev.org is the best place to go for info. good luck.
Yes, and you''re not completely out of luck on being an official GBA coder. You just have to find an authorized publisher and talk them into either hiring you to work on one of their games (shouldn''t be too hard if you make an impressive demo to show them) or publishing your own game (probably next to impossible unless you''re already working in the gaming buisness).
But there''s not much that the GBA can do that you can''t learn about for free, so you can make a full game (and have a lot more freedom with it) as long as you don''t plan to sell it.

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement