A Good Game Engine?

Started by
19 comments, last by Sean_Seanston 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey, everyone! First of all thank you for looking at this thread. I just signed up to this website because I think it'll help me with my game dev goals so I hope you all can answer my question.

I've been very unsure of what game engine to use/start working with. I'm currently majoring in computer science so I can eventually work in the game industry after I graduate so I need to start getting a portfolio together. Currently, the languages I know Visual Basic, Python, and HTML5, but I am willing to learn whatever languages I have to. At the moment, I'm interested in making 2D computer games to start out with and go from there. I'm just not sure what the best game engine to use. I've been looking at those best game engine lists, but I'm still not sure which one will be best to pick. I would like something with good documentation (being a beginner I'll need to do a lot of reference making), something that will help me improve my game programming skills (so no drag and drops that don't use programming), and something that will be applicable to the game industry (if at all possible).

I was hoping as experienced game makers you all could possibly help me out? Thanks!

E: I would also like to add that I would prefer a program that is free to use. Paying to ship a game is fine as I don't plan to publish anything anytime soon. Thank you!

Advertisement

Since you know python, godot might be a good option for what you want to do. It uses a "python like language".

http://www.godotengine.org/projects/godot-engine

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Unity is usually best for people that just want to make games. It makes collision and physics super easy, among other things,

What will you make?
Unity. You might be avoiding this one because of "drag and drop", as I originally did, but anything you try to build is going to require a non trivial amount of scripting anyways, so you will be doing plenty of programming. As in all software - don't reinvent the wheel. Spend your time on your unique game idea. No one will care if you built a physics, UI, or rendering engine on your own - because in all likelihood it's going to be useless compared to existing options.

Unity is active in the industry, is a good step towards the professional grade engines, and allows you to work on your new ideas.

There is also Unreal Engine 4, which has a similar community size and a lot of documentation, but might be even more powerful when it comes to cutting edge 3D rendering than Unity, at the cost of added complexity, less well organized documentation and a less stable editor.

You do get a node based visual scripting tool with Unreal engine 4, which might allow you to do coding without having to know a programming language syntax (just programming basics). Personally I am not that convinced having used the system myself, but others seem to have different opinions so it might work for you.

But keep in mind, for what you want to do, Unity 5 will do it just as well if not better, while being less complex with a better structured documentation, and a better Asset Store. You cannot go wrong with Unity, really.

There are smaller, 2D only Engines like Gamemaker, which might be even easier to learn and pose less overhead for 2D only work.

Hey, everyone! First of all thank you for looking at this thread. I just signed up to this website because I think it'll help me with my game dev goals so I hope you all can answer my question.

I've been very unsure of what game engine to use/start working with. I'm currently majoring in computer science so I can eventually work in the game industry after I graduate so I need to start getting a portfolio together. Currently, the languages I know Visual Basic, Python, and HTML5, but I am willing to learn whatever languages I have to. At the moment, I'm interested in making 2D computer games to start out with and go from there. I'm just not sure what the best game engine to use. I've been looking at those best game engine lists, but I'm still not sure which one will be best to pick. I would like something with good documentation (being a beginner I'll need to do a lot of reference making), something that will help me improve my game programming skills (so no drag and drops that don't use programming), and something that will be applicable to the game industry (if at all possible).

I was hoping as experienced game makers you all could possibly help me out? Thanks!

E: I would also like to add that I would prefer a program that is free to use. Paying to ship a game is fine as I don't plan to publish anything anytime soon. Thank you!

Hey DuBiousRex

Give a try to WiMi5 It´s a online game editor for creating HTML5 games. Then you can export your game as a desktop or mobile native game. And it´s free.

Hafo

CMO at WiMi5

Hey DuBiosRex I'm going to recommend another framework to take a look at: http://www.monogame.net/. Might not be what you're looking for ultimately, but it's worth your consideration. It requires knowledge of C# so you'd need to evaluate whether you want to spend time learning the language. MonoGame was based off of XNA and offers some game structure and graphics functions which ease you in to game development but it does rely entirely on the programmer to write all code for their game - so all the gameplay, physics, AI, networking etc. It's a good framework for 2d games and a bunch have been published to PC and PS4.

Have a look around and use something that's going to satisfy you in in the production of your game and in your own creative needs.

[twitter]mswiftdev[/twitter]

https://rheniumdev.wordpress.com/

something that will help me improve my game programming skills

Well look no further my friend. Torque 3D MIT is the answer tongue.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

I believe it all starts with defining your goal. What do you want to achieve?

With this you can go and solve the "how", which engine, framework, alone vs a team etc

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Thanks for the inputs everyone! I'll look into what's been sent to me already!

As for my goals I need to start working on my portfolio so I'll need games of some kind made by the time I graduate. I haven't used any game engines at all (the only game I've made was on Scratch). I've looked at some advice on how to get started with making games and they all said to start small until you understand how to use the system and have a better understanding of game making so you don't overwhelm yourself. So right now I'm just trying to learn doing basic stuff (like make a character move or working platforms and stuff) and then move on from there. As of right now I don't think I'm ready for team development and I'd probably join a dev team for my first go instead of try and create one.

It seems like Unity or Unreal would be my best bets on this one. I considered those and I wasn't sure because of the 3D aspect, but I am doing this to start learning the basics so not everything has to be perfect right now.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I hope the additional information in this post clarified some things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement