Need help with an error message virtual studio is giving me.

Started by
20 comments, last by Enerjak 8 years, 3 months ago

Put a breakpoint in your code where the error message is being retrieved, and inspect the raw string in your debugger of choice. It looks like the throwing of exceptions may be complicating the retrieval of the error string.

Ah I see, I need to install windows SDK for windows 10. Silly me.

Okay, I installed windows SDK 10 but it still didn't work. Let me keep trying.

Advertisement

You installed the Windows 10 SDK, but I was seeing this note on https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476107%28v=vs.85%29.aspx:

D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG

Creates a device that supports the debug layer.

To use this flag, you must have D3D11*SDKLayers.dll installed; otherwise, device creation fails. To get D3D11_1SDKLayers.dll, install the SDK for Windows 8.

So naturally that raises the question if you have the SDK for Windows 8 installed and if you search for D3D11_1SDKLayers.dll on the system do you find it? Windows 10 has DX12 built-in, so the Windows 10 SDK may not nessesarily include DX11 libraries.

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?""I''m the locksmith, and I''m the locksmith."

You installed the Windows 10 SDK, but I was seeing this note on https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476107%28v=vs.85%29.aspx:

D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG

Creates a device that supports the debug layer.

To use this flag, you must have D3D11*SDKLayers.dll installed; otherwise, device creation fails. To get D3D11_1SDKLayers.dll, install the SDK for Windows 8.

So naturally that raises the question if you have the SDK for Windows 8 installed and if you search for D3D11_1SDKLayers.dll on the system do you find it? Windows 10 has DX12 built-in, so the Windows 10 SDK may not nessesarily include DX11 libraries.

*Face palm!* I am such an idiot. LOL. Also, is the Direct3D 12 SDK even out yet? Or did microsoft go a different route with it? The SDK hasn't been updated in years....

I should have mentioned I have windows 10 installed.....I may need to reformat my PC and reinstall windows 7. Damn it. I'm such an idiot.

Well it looks like I do have the D3D11SDKLayers.dll:

39832689c4.png

What now? If it shows that I have these layers, how can I get this to work? Also, I tried to install windows 8 SDK and got the error 2753. Just need some advice here. I'll keep looking but could still use some help.

MSDN is your friend: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/jj863687%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

For developers currently working on applications in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 or earlier using the D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG flag, be aware that calls to D3D11CreateDevice will fail. This is because the D3D11.1 runtime now requires D3D11_1SDKLayers.dll instead of D3D11SDKLayers.dll. To get this new DLL (D3D11_1SDKLayers.dll), install the Windows 8 SDK, or Visual Studio 2012, or the Visual Studio 2012 remote debugging tools.

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?""I''m the locksmith, and I''m the locksmith."

Okay, you know what? I give up on this project. I removed the debug flag and it worked. However, the debug flag is important to weed out errors. I searched for the D3D11_1SDKLayers.dll and it finds it on my PC. so I do have it. I did try to install windows 8 SDK but get error 2753. I've tried to find an answer for that error but couldn't find one that actually worked. Maybe I didn't try hard enough? I'm tired right now so I may search more about this error later.

After all that, it still doesn't work when using the debugging flag. Am I missing something? I was getting the error with the application verifier checked off and it installed the windows 8 SDK. I'm not sure what else to do to get this to work using the debug layer. I guess getting windows 10 as soon as it came out was a bad idea....(I heard the risks but I still downloaded it when they offered it for free.) Not really sure where to from here.

P.S. sorry for double posting.

OK, well this situation is showing that Windows 10 installs targeting DX11 development are a lot more combersome than you'd think...

According to an MSDN blog it seems that Windows 10 the D3D SDK Layers is an 'optional graphics tool' for Visual Studio; so you either have to enable it from the optional Windows Features or via Visual Studio's optional graphics tools:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/03/31/visual-studio-2015-and-graphics-tools-for-windows-10.aspx

Just seems odd, since if I'm a developer going for a full install of Visual Studio and/or Windows SDKs shouldn't it at least ask if I want the Graphics Tools for debugging enabled?!?!

OK, well this situation is showing that Windows 10 installs targeting DX11 development are a lot more combersome than you'd think...

According to an MSDN blog it seems that Windows 10 the D3D SDK Layers is an 'optional graphics tool' for Visual Studio; so you either have to enable it from the optional Windows Features or via Visual Studio's optional graphics tools:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/03/31/visual-studio-2015-and-graphics-tools-for-windows-10.aspx

Just seems odd, since if I'm a developer going for a full install of Visual Studio and/or Windows SDKs shouldn't it at least ask if I want the Graphics Tools for debugging enabled?!?!

So in other words, to use the Debugging layer on windows 10, I would need to install visual studio 2015?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement