Need help with an error message virtual studio is giving me.

Started by
20 comments, last by Enerjak 8 years, 3 months ago

OK, well this situation is showing that Windows 10 installs targeting DX11 development are a lot more combersome than you'd think...

According to an MSDN blog it seems that Windows 10 the D3D SDK Layers is an 'optional graphics tool' for Visual Studio; so you either have to enable it from the optional Windows Features or via Visual Studio's optional graphics tools:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/03/31/visual-studio-2015-and-graphics-tools-for-windows-10.aspx

Just seems odd, since if I'm a developer going for a full install of Visual Studio and/or Windows SDKs shouldn't it at least ask if I want the Graphics Tools for debugging enabled?!?!

It did. When you installed Visual Studio you could have picked a custom installation and picked it.

So in other words, to use the Debugging layer on windows 10, I would need to install visual studio 2015?

No. As the linked article stated, you only need to install the Windows 10 optional feature to enable graphics debugging (since most people running Windows don't need DX debugging).

"To install the Graphics Tools optional feature, go to the Settings panel, under System, Apps & features, Manage optional Features, Add a feature, and then look for 'Graphics Tools'"
Advertisement

Okay, I downloaded the graphics tools and everything works now. Thanks to everyone for putting up with me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement