• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Amy Parkes

trying to think up a new way to level up

This topic is 979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone. I do apologise if this has been posted in the wrong section. I am new to the forum (hi!!). As of late i have been slowly working on a new game. It is pvp and pve based. I am trying to think up a new and interesting way to level up my character. The general basics of the game are as follows : 

Basic stats are :

Health

Mana

Stamina

You can learn various abilities that you can fight with that are based on the following : 

Fire

Earth

Air

Water

Lightning

Dark

Light

Various weaponry stats

What i am trying to think up is a new and interesting way to level up these stats. I was going with the idea of gaining XP per quest / kill but honestly, that idea has been done to death. I have looked at various other ways of levelling included in other games ranging from time based, hybrid, vertical through to natural progression such as ;

Health improves the more you are damaged

Mana improves the more you use it and become accustomed to it

etc

But again, the issue is that all of these have been done and done and done. 

Can anyone suggest to me an interesting idea that they think might be a cool way to put a new spin on levelling up a character in a pve/pvp setting?. I really want to try and do something different but i am struggling a little to come up with a viable alternative, so, i thought i would join a game development community and ask for ideas :)

Advertisement

Other experience system :

- The Sphere grid from final fantasy X : the player have a grid with multiple path which can be unlocked and each node give a boost in stat or a new skill.
- The fruit/eat from odin sphere : the only way to get xp in odin sphere is to eat things.

Else :

- unlock boost in stat by achieving things (beat X creatures, run for X seconds, end X level, etc...)
- use items (other than food)

They are the few I can think of right now, but if that can set you on a path. So good luck, and also  welcome :D

Thanks for those, i appreciate it. The eating idea is an interesting one that i might consider as an extra way to further your progress. I think this is probably going to end up as some strange hybrid system if I'm honest. I would just like to try and create as unique an experience as possible if i can :)

Edited by Eiko

I was on a text based MUD once that had an interesting skill up system. "You learn from your mistakes" was basically the theme so skill failures give you specific skill xp. So your 1-hand sword skill would only improve when you'd miss with it. This had an interesting and desirable effect encouraging players to fight things that were somewhat challenging. A high level character farming rats didn't benefit him much at all since he'd always hit them.

- Eck

That is also an interesting idea. That might be one to work into the weapon aspect of my game. Thank you for sharing it!

One question I'd suggest you ask yourself is: "What am I trying to achieve/encourage?"

This is exactly what I was thinking. When you level up a stat by using that specific stat, it tends to encourage grinding way too much. In contrast, it seems like a lot of games give big exp bonuses for doing quests. I tend to prefer this as the primary exp source, because it makes sure the player really plays the game instead of just fighting the same enemies over and over. You can still give a bit of exp as the player kills enemies or explores or whatever, because that's an important part of the game too.

Any creative gimmicks with the exp should keep in mind what players will do to get more exp. Will doing that be fun, and serve the game?

In Dungeon World characters level up after getting a handful of experience points and experience points are earned when failing a roll. The trick is that failing a single roll is a very big deal: it means getting hurt, failing at an important task, often a strategic turn for the worse.

Players are therefore mildly encouraged to push the envelope: they can become more powerful only by doing something hazardous and difficult. Easy life is not for adventurers.

This kind of system can be good in a computer game if the player is in control: flexible schedule (to get into trouble when the characters are ready), risk mitigation opportunities (e.g. allowing easy retreat in most cases, instead of punishing the player too much), an obvious challenge to complete the game quickly and/or with limited resources because playing it safe is easy.

In FORCED (they spell it with upper casing) you beat levels, where each level had 3 crystals you could unlock. One for completing the level, one for completing it faster than some set time limit and one for completing it while also doing some challenge. A challenge could be something like "don't get hit by a single shockwave attack" or "don't use walls for cover from energy beam" etc.

Your "level" (available skill set) was determined by the number of crystals you had unlocked, so if you had a hard time completing a specific level, you could greatly benefit from going back and completing the secondary challenges on previous levels.

It suits a very particular set of games I suppose though. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!