Advice on Game art design. Sorry in advance

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 4 months ago

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I apologies in advance if I am in the wrong forum. I'm am a decent artist and although I haven't drawn in a good while, I really want to get back into it. I was wondering if anyone in that area of the industry could advise me on how and where to start. Should I enroll in a community college before applying to a place like SCAD U. What other things should I learn and what's the best programs and equipment from starting up to pro level of the craft. I know designing art is just one part of the job, but I not against adding on to just drawing to a part of the industry. Any info will of great use, thanks in advance.

Advertisement

1. Yes, it is the wrong forum. "Game Design" has little to do with "Graphics Design"... it is about coming up with Game Mechanics and Balancing them, not 3D modelling or 2D Graphics. I guess a mod will be able to move your thread.

2. I think you need to be more specific to get any useful repsonse:

- What is your goal? A job in the industry? Creating your own game? Collaborate on a mod or in a hobbyist team?

- Where do you stand currently? Still in school and deciding what to to for university or college? Already working and trying to change your career?

- How decent is "decent"? What is your expierience in drawing?

- About the equipment: What is your budget?

Ok so where should I ask just to be clear. I use to draw a lot and it seems to be the only thing I enjoy most. For now i would like to be able to lone day find a job in the industry. After working for a few years and getting to understand how everything works. I wouldn't mind mind starting my own company.

Since you're looking for job advice, I'm moving this to the Job Advice board.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

anjealous, you should read this forum's FAQs for starters. http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement