• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bisjac

I have no experience AT ALL

This topic is 1085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.  For many years it has been a dream of mine to make my own video game, but with school and work I have not had any time to devote to this.  I now have finished my degree, and I have plenty of free time.

I literally have no experience with any language or any graphics design!  I have read the FAQs and it doesn't say anything in there where to get started.

So obviously I need to start with a language.  After research, I've decided that C++ is what I want to learn, but I can not find any beginner friendly tutorials that do not cost money.  So if you know of any good ones, it would be very much appreciated!!!!!!  I have downloaded a few programs for C++ off of tutorials on YouTube (such as GNU Prolog and Cygwin64), but I have no idea how to use them together, and if they are the proper ones for Game Dev.

Sorry if this post is not allowed, I just don't know where to start, and I would really love to get into Game Dev.  I don't want to have to go to more school for programming, haha.

Thank you very much!  :D

Advertisement

Hello.  For many years it has been a dream of mine to make my own video game, but with school and work I have not had any time to devote to this.  I now have finished my degree, and I have plenty of free time.

I literally have no experience with any language or any graphics design!  I have read the FAQs and it doesn't say anything in there where to get started.

So obviously I need to start with a language.  After research, I've decided that C++ is what I want to learn, but I can not find any beginner friendly tutorials that do not cost money.  So if you know of any good ones, it would be very much appreciated!!!!!!  I have downloaded a few programs for C++ off of tutorials on YouTube (such as GNU Prolog and Cygwin64), but I have no idea how to use them together, and if they are the proper ones for Game Dev.

Sorry if this post is not allowed, I just don't know where to start, and I would really love to get into Game Dev.  I don't want to have to go to more school for programming, haha.

Thank you very much!  biggrin.png

It sounds like you just want to make a game. While C++ is a pretty solid choice, it doesn't sound like what you need. You probably just heard C++ is faster, and decided you would learn the faster language (Which may not necessarily be true). Unity and C# are very good choices. It might look gimmicky, but it's easier to get a game started in there. It has a bunch of useful features, like automatically cutting spritesheets and turning them into animations. Only downside to it is their version of .net is outdated, but that really doesn't matter in terms of making games.

I only chose C++ because I saw that more high end games use it.  And if I'm going to learn anything, I'm just going to go with the best of the best.  I know it can take many years, but I would like to learn C++.  I'm willing to devote most of my time and effort into doing so.  I just have no idea where to start.  I may purchase a book if I have to, but I thought I'd start here.

Thanks for the advice, Bregma.  I'm a stubborn fool and I will probably regret it, but I would like to stick with C++ only for now.  I don't care how long it takes, I am set on C++ and I'm sticking with it.

Thank you, Infinisearch, I will look into these and see what I can learn.

BTW what kind of game did you want to make?  It sounded like you might have something in mind... it would help to know what you are shooting for.

Take small steps in the beginning.

I know it'll be years before I can even begin to make it,  but I want to make a hack and slash MMORPG.

First of all, welcome!
I also advice to get a free legal version of visual studio community (2013 or 2015).

When it comes to learning C++, you could start with something basic like input/ output, writing to a ASCII file and reading back, maybe something like a basic calculator. Google is your friend for C++ beginner tutorials.

Watch you that you wont become one of many that think you can build a MMORPG with no expierence, team etc.

When you're getting the hang of it, pick an API (like direct3d 11) and first finish basic games, making and actually finishing a full clone of pacman, asteroids or Pong could be your first big milestone.

After that, you can define your next steps. Good luck

I know it'll be years before I can even begin to make it,  but I want to make a hack and slash MMORPG.

No, it won't be years. It'll either be a lifetime, or you'll have built (and somehow acquired large amounts of funding for) a company.

If you take the 'MMO' part of it out, it's much more doable. You're basically gonna have to turn GameDev into your life's work in order to make an MMORPG.

This topic is 1085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.