Need Idea For a Roguelike Game

Started by
2 comments, last by valrus 8 years, 3 months ago
Hi !

I am looking for a roguelike game idea.

I am a programmer and I am not very creative so I can't come up with any one.

I don't want a story for the game. I want mechanics and things like that. Things that made Cardinal Quest different from all other roguelikes.

I know that I should be working with a game designer for this kind of stuff, but I am really in the very early stages of the project and don't know if I'll complete it or not.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

I always had the impression that there is a lot of game designer out there, so if you are looking for one, you should be able to find one. (A good one, is rarer though ^^)

In any case, you should start working on the base of your game. Thing like basic movement of character, inventory, mobs AI, etc... Event if you'll have to scrap some of it later, you will have something to show to a potential future game designer.

Play a bunch of roguelikes. There are so many good ones.

Then pick your favourite aspects of your favourite ones, and build a roguelike that steals the best ideas from all of them. And of course, as you start working, you'll think of your own unique ideas to throw in there too, I promise :)

Just don't set it in a "dungeon" and that'll be enough to draw attention and give you some novel mechanical ideas. Anywhere else; the next time you go someplace (shopping mall, museum, office building, whatever) and think "It would be cool to generate this procedurally", then there, use that kind of place. A museum where the exhibits are coming to life, maybe?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement