question about the beginning in the development of Games

Started by
1 comment, last by Mekamani 8 years, 4 months ago

Hi

my name is Omar

I study computer science and I am interested in the game development , particularly the field of programming so I decided after graduation to work in this filed but I do not know where to start and what are the books that can help me and what are the important courses in this filed

Note I am sorry about my English, it not very good

Advertisement

I'm biased of course, but i'd recommend starting here.

Mostly it's a matter of picking a language, picking a library and jumping in. Try, fail, try, fail, try, fail, google, google, try, succeed, repeat.

Good luck.

Since you probably do have some programming experience you could check out Love2D

I haven't seen it being mentioned that often in the forums, but what I like about the engine is that it is very fast to get something done with it, just couple of lines of code and magic happens.

Also since the engine uses LUA as a language, most of the games in the forums, you can read the source code in them and try to learn from those. Ofcourse you can't copy paste the source codes for their games, but it is good for learning things.

The downside of the engine is, that there is very little extra given by default. You'll have to make your own gui-system, animation system etc. Although once again in the forums there are lots of solutions ready to use for such things, and you can even read the source code to learn how other people implemented these things. Although this might lead you to learn some bad habits from people, but I guess that is nothing unusual when you're trying to learn coding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement