How Do I Render A Dynamic Main Menu/Menus Through Orthographic Projections?

Started by
4 comments, last by lipsryme 8 years, 3 months ago

In this book I have called "Game Engine Architecture: Second Edition" by Jason Gregory (lead programmer working at Naughty Dog Inc.) the author states that 3-dimensional overlays such as a dynamic main menu in a game is often rendered using orthographic projections or via a projection via the regular perspective of a camera system, with the geometry positioned in view, which the camera follows around.

?

How exactly can I do this? Does this require 3rd party software/scripting? I'm using Unreal Engine 4 and maybe it can already do this, but I dunno how. I really would like a dynamic main menu but I don't know how to implement it. Any help is welcome :)

Advertisement

Unreal has pretty extensive support for menus and other GUI elements. See here for a quickstart.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

It doesn't mention anything about creating a dynamic/orthographic main menu tho..

dynamic

Can you clarify what you mean by 'dynamic' in this context? To me that just means that it scales with the screen size (resolution), which you should be able to accomplish with the anchor settings.

If you mean rendering 3D meshes using an orthographic camera, then you just visit any Camera Actor, and select Details Panel -> Camera Settings -> Projection Mode -> Orthographic.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Yes I meant rendering 3D meshes with orthographic camera. Thanks for telling me how it's done! :)

You can setup an orthographic camera so that everything appears to be in the same depth, then use textured 2D planes (alpha blended or tested) for your GUI elements. For interaction e.g. clicking on a GUI button you can use raycasting (check intersection between ray of your mouse position towards the button/plane)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement