• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hobo Ramirez

The Best Ideas for a first game?

This topic is 993 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I just venture into game development this year, and I started making a game a Tactical Strategy game in the spirit of Commandos and Syndicate, since (I´ll give more information about it in another post perhaps). 

The thing is, this is a team effort since I really don´t know how to program, I have a major in Science and Techniques of Comunication (a degree mostly based on media), although I´m passionate about game design and is even the task I´m doing with this game, as the 3D art, for characters and scenarios, a friend is helping with programming part, and we are making this game in the Unity Engine, while I do the 3D assets in Blender. 

Got to admit, sometimes I feel we´re biting more than we can chew, my friend is on hold right now, he got to focus on his work at the moment and go to christmas vacation on the way there... leaving me with the 3D Modeling part, (wish is something I´m still mastering).

I don´t know if we can do this game (I won´t leave this project), and I want to make games anyhow, I was thinking in making first a game on my own, something that´s not hard to code, and not that big for only one guy, I would like to know any game genres and engines that fits better for one guy that´s making his first game. 

Sorry for my somewhat broken english, and thanks for reading if you did that :) 

Advertisement

Here's a great article for which games you should PROGRAM first and why.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

I put the emphasis on "program" because I'm not sure how much of that will translate to generating 3d assets and modelling. I'm sure newish modellers aren't supposed to jump straight into making all the assets for an MMO all by himself. But I'm not 100% sure where you should start. Start small is the best advice I can give. A game like Syndicate doesn't seem like a great first-choice for learning how to develop games (on the programming side), but there are definitely worst choices. :)

- Eck

A really good first game to make is a match 3 game, like bejeweled.

Any engine can make these, simpler is better, so I would recommend Panda 3D if it's still around. Unity or Unreal will also work.

Blender also has a small game engine inside that can make games like these.

Making this kind of game will teach you what it takes to make a game from start to finish.

If you want to use 3D, you can use simple primitives for match 3 games. Loading even simple 3D primitives will teach you allot about 3D graphics, then once your game is working you can start making more complex models to replace the primitives.

Remember that 3D modeling, art design, game development, sound design and programming are all specialized fields; to be good even in one of these you will have to spend years learning.

I advice focusing on what you can do and make a game with it, hire or buy what you need.

A good and fast way to learn 3D modeling is to exchange models with other artist, working on other peoples game projects is also a good way to learn.

The first game I ever made was a clone of lunar lander on an 8 bit machine.

It had lots of hand crafted physics in it and it might be fun to write on a more modern third party physics engine like box2d.

Asteroidz or Pacman might be a good start, despite the correct movement to the other forum smile.png

Here's an example on a GDD of a 'simple'/ clone game, you might even go for a simpler approach:

http://www.crealysm.com/downloads/documents/booh-game-design-final.pdf

For what I see this Game Document put mine into shame, that was for a PacMan clone 

(the thing is in Spanish so you might need translate it using word or google) 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxi6a87c0hrmgc3/Blackout.docx?dl=0

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!