OpenGL vs Direct3D

Started by
10 comments, last by xill 22 years, 5 months ago
Im learning/reading/coding OpenGL for a month or so, but im wondering why OpenGL and not D3D. What is the reason so many people chose OpenGL... Whats the bad side of D3D well, í''ll prolly know in a day... thx
Advertisement
Try each one for yourself. look into finding resources for each and conduct your own survey because obviously, many people currently using opengl in this forum are going to be biased against direct3d, and vice versa.

Work it out for yourself man, we all had to. Try looking up Direct3d vs Opengl using www.google.com, they have tonnes of reasons to choose one or the other.
> What is the reason so many people chose OpenGL

Think about it a second: Perhaps because it''s just better ? Or perhaps because you''re on an OpenGL forum ? I think both points apply, but that''s just my opinion

- AH
If I see one more ''Direct3D vs OpenGL'' thread I''m gonna do something nasty to the poster. PLEASE UNDERSTAND that any API (especially ones as old as DX and OpenGL) is only as good as the programmer who uses it.
and by ''old'' I mean they have evolved over long period of time.
I dont think there is much of a differance. I dont know Direct3D to well, but i think openGL is very easy to learn. While the little i know in Direct3D is somewhat complex. Maybe its just me.
If you have ever switched from direct3d to open gl in any 3d game you will usually notice a speed and graphics reduction.
I have tried programming both and direct3d isn''t much worse then the base of opengl but the dedication to open gl seems to wider spread then direct3d because of all the extra little library objects you get.....I belive that all of Microsoft''s programmers won''t be able to keep up with the ease of use with open gl.

WHO DID YOU EXPECT...?
MAYBE SATIN!!!
WHO DID YOU EXPECT...?MAYBE SATIN!!!
quote:Original post by RELOAD
If you have ever switched from direct3d to open gl in any 3d game you will usually notice a speed and graphics reduction.

I most certainly don''t. First, it matters 100% on the VIDEO CARD and DRIVERS you''re using. You might as well consider DirectX and OpenGL to be implementations by the VIDEO CARD MANUFACTURER that conform to a certain standard. I''m using a Geforce2 GTS 32MB DDR (driver version 14.70) if you''re curious.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I basically chose OpenGL because that''s what John Carmack is using

OpenGL is a very powerful API, but also a fairly straightforward one, even to programming newbies like myself. And now that the graphics hardware market is mainly in the hands of Nvidia and ATI, virtually every decent computer that gets sold today has a video card that supports OpenGL.

_________
"Maybe this world is another planet''''s hell." -- Aldous Huxley
_________"Maybe this world is another planet''s hell." -- Aldous Huxley
*laughs* hehe, so again these sorts of threads take their toll on the weak minds who find the need to argue in an attempt to prove a point.

*sits back and watches*

surely some people would understand the need to keep opinions to themselves.. i mean, if people say that something is slower than another, LET THEM, it just means that you''d be ahead of them whilst they''re still trying to figure out which is faster.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement