glCreateShader crashes application

Started by
11 comments, last by FonzTech 8 years, 3 months ago
Hi at all! I'm following this tutorial:
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/tutorial-2-the-first-triangle/

I'm using Code::Blocks with SDL 2.0.4. I've correctly setup all the includes and libs (and GLEW statically). These are the linker arguments:
-lmingw32
-lglew32s
-lOpenGL32
-lSDL2
-lSDL2_image
-lSDL2_mixer

MinGW compiler and libraries are x86_64. I have initialized SDL (everything), GLEW, setup the OpenGL context and made it current. Also glewInit does not give any error.
These are the SDL settings I use:
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 5);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 5);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 5);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 16);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK, SDL_GL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_CORE);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION, 3);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION, 3);
SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_RENDER_OPENGL_SHADERS, "1");
All seems to work, until glCreateShader is called.

No errors on compile, except one strange warning:

Warning: corrupt .drectve at end of def file[background=#ffffff] [/background]

Searching around the internet, I found that the compiler throws that warning because I'm using the GLEW made for VC++, not for MinGW. I downloaded the libraries from the official website... So the problem are the GLEW libraries? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Advertisement

Searching around the internet, I found that the compiler throws that warning because I'm using the GLEW made for VC++, not for MinGW. I downloaded the libraries from the official website... So the problem are the GLEW libraries? Or something else?

I would definitely worry about that.

Another thing you could check is if glCreateShader is NULL. What sort of hardware are you running on? You could also put glGetError just before and check nothing is a miss.

You could try building GLEW for MinGW, this thread might shed some light: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6005076/building-glew-on-windows-with-mingw though it is windows might give some useful info.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

You need to compile glew yourself for mingw. I've been through this myself.

Anything else worth checking, if openGL errors come up after glew initialization. (Not the return value from glewInit() but openGL error).

I have downloaded Visual Studio 2015, recompiled the SDL2main.lib for VS2015 x64 and all is correctly setup.

Another thing you could check is if glCreateShader is NULL

Yes, printing it results in a null pointer -.-"

Also Visual Studio tells me about an exception at address 0x0000000000000000 (null). So glCreateShader does not exists?

Anyway, I'm running on a sh**ty laptop with i3-m330, Radeon 5650.

This is the version of my driver: 15.20.1062.1003-150728a1-187449C

I've read on the AMD website that it does support modern OpenGL...

Any advice for this?

A common mistake is to call glewInit before creating your context; worth checking that you haven't done this.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This is how I initialize all the things:

// Init SDL Library
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING);

// Setup SDL for OpenGL
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 5);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 5);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 5);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 16);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION, 4);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION, 0);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK, SDL_GL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_CORE);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_FLAGS, SDL_GL_CONTEXT_FORWARD_COMPATIBLE_FLAG);
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_SHARE_WITH_CURRENT_CONTEXT, 1);
SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_RENDER_OPENGL_SHADERS, "1");

// Create window and renderer
window = SDL_CreateWindow("Game Engine", SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED, SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED, 1280, 720, SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN | SDL_WINDOW_OPENGL);
renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(window, 0, SDL_RENDERER_ACCELERATED);

// Create the OpenGL context
context = SDL_GL_CreateContext(window);
SDL_GL_MakeCurrent(window, context);

// Init GLEW
glewExperimental = GL_TRUE;
glewInit();

What's wrong? Why can't I call glCreateShader?

SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_SHARE_WITH_CURRENT_CONTEXT, "1");

Hmmm... how about you create a minimal example with your real code that we could compile?

https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GL_SetAttribute

You should use SDL_GL_GetAttribute() to check the values after creating the OpenGL context, since the values obtained can differ from the requested ones.

The probability is that you're not getting a hardware-accelerated GL context; i.e one which uses Microsoft's software GL 1.1 implementation. As the quote above shows, just because you ask SDL for something it's no guarantee that you're going to get it. So you need to work through your SDL_GL_SetAttribute calls to find which one is bumping you down to a software context. To me that 16-bit display mode looks a possible candidate.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Hmmm... how about you create a minimal example with your real code that we could compile?

That was a copy-paste error because I messed up this post... Just look in the history... ;)

The probability is that you're not getting a hardware-accelerated GL context [...] To me that 16-bit display mode looks a possible candidate.

I now tried to set SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL to 1 (by default it should use hardware if possible) and buffer size to 32, but it still crashes...

I'll try to check the values...

EDIT: I tried, but values I get are the same of what I set before initializing the context...

Sincerely I don't know why I'm getting this error...

So what happens when you try glGetString(GL_VERSION)? What's the result of that? Have you cross-checked with another program (such as the GL Extensions Viewer)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement