Game Designer vs Lead Level Designer

Started by
2 comments, last by gulden 8 years, 3 months ago

Hi all

I am working in a studio as game designer for last 3 years.

At first we had a couple of game designers that dealt with all aspects of the project - features , balance, levels etc.

During the last year we grew a lot , and lately I've been proposed to take a Lead Level Design position.

Basically what I'm asking is should I take a position ?

From what I know usually you grow from level design into game (feature) design, and it may look like a step backwards.

On other hand, a Lead is a Lead...

Can anyone share from his/hers experience and what would they do in same case ?

Thanx in advance

Advertisement

I think the important questions to ask yourself are-

1) What aspects of game design am I good at?

2) What do I have the most fun doing on an hour-by-hour basis?

If the answer to the above is level design then absolutely take it. Level Design is by no means an inferior sub-discipline, it's just a different specialization that require more tool and technical expertise.

Do you want to be in a management role? Leads should spend a lot of time looking at their team's work, rather than doing their own.
Maybe feel out if you'll be able to return to the main design team if it doesn't work out.

I can agree with the above. It's not really about the position and its description, it's about how do you feel working as the lead designer or do you prefer getting your hands dirty yourself. On the other hand the position change may come with a salaray raise, but if you have enought for a living, I would chose the one which is gonna make you more happy working at every day! :)

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement