• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MikeJM

VertexBuffers and InputAssmbler unnecessary?

This topic is 906 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Configuring VertexBuffers and the InputAssembler adds a complexity to the code.

Specifying D3D12_INPUT_ELEMENT_DESC requires detailed knowledge of both the vertex shader and the vertex data.

The only benefits I see is the InputAssmebler can swizzle some vertex data to allow equivalent vertex formats with different layout to use the same vertex shader.

These feel like legacy fixed-function constructs.

If you're building something new is there a good reason to use VertexBuffers and the InputAssembler at all?

Why not just use a StructuedBuffer<Vertex> SRV or unbounded ConstantBuffer<Vertex> array CBV (T3 hardware) and index them with the SV_VertexID?

Advertisement

These feel like legacy fixed-function constructs.
If you're building something new is there a good reason to use VertexBuffers and the InputAssembler at all?
Why not just use a StructuedBuffer<Vertex> SRV or unbounded ConstantBuffer<Vertex> array CBV (T3 hardware) and index them with the SV_VertexID?

Because these fixed functions constructs aren't legacy. In some hardware it is very current. Other GPUs though, there is practically no difference (aside from compiler optimizations that cannot be performed due to guarantees StructuredBuffer/ConstantBuffer give regarding to caching, alignment, ordering and aliasing).

You can ignore the IA and emulate it yourself with SV_VertexID, but doing so may result in sub-optimal performance on certain hardware.

Specifying D3D12_INPUT_ELEMENT_DESC requires detailed knowledge of both the vertex shader and the vertex data.

Yes. But emulating it with SV_VertexID requires detailed knowledge of both the vertex shader and the vertex data too; as you have to make sure the right vertex shader is used with the right vertex data. Perhaps what you mean is that by emulating it you can avoid caring about this and you just force it.
It works for small projects where you can mentally track what shader goes with which mesh, and it feels faster for developing (no time wasted specifying the vertex format). But it doesn't scale for bigger projects.

Because these fixed functions constructs aren't legacy. In some hardware it is very current. Other GPUs though, there is practically no difference (aside from compiler optimizations that cannot be performed due to guarantees StructuredBuffer/ConstantBuffer give regarding to caching, alignment, ordering and aliasing).

You can ignore the IA and emulate it yourself with SV_VertexID, but doing so may result in sub-optimal performance on certain hardware.

That's mainly what I was wondering about.

Do you have any references for these performance claims?

I'd be very interested to know what hardware has a penalty and how large it is.

Yes. But emulating it with SV_VertexID requires detailed knowledge of both the vertex shader and the vertex data too; as you have to make sure the right vertex shader is used with the right vertex data. Perhaps what you mean is that by emulating it you can avoid caring about this and you just force it.
It works for small projects where you can mentally track what shader goes with which mesh, and it feels faster for developing (no time wasted specifying the vertex format). But it doesn't scale for bigger projects.

You will always have to have the knowledge to match appropriate vertex buffer data with vertex shaders.

The main difference is your PSO creation code doesn't need to know or care about the vertex format if you don't use the IA.

This brings a significant reduction in complexity and coupling IMO.

I work on AAA projects as well as smaller projects.

I don't see why it wouldn't scale to bigger projects.

FWIW I believe this is the method Nitrous Engine uses.

Thanks for the response!

Edited by MikeJM

Which hardware in particular?

That's mainly what I was wondering about.
Do you have any references for these performance claims?

Personal experience, I'm afraid.

I'd be very interested to know what hardware has a penalty and how large it is.

GCN definitely is in theory "the same"; PowerVR (mobile) definitely prefers IA as there are gigantic gains (Metal, not D3D12), I can't recall which Intel and NVIDIA cards used FF but at least some NVIDIAs did (if not all of them?).

As for the performance difference, it's not big, but "it depends". First it has the vertex bottleneck has to be big enough (which usually isn't). Second, it depends what you're doing on the shader and how complex it is.
For example even when testing GCN (which in theory, it should be the same) in complex shaders sometimes the driver generates relatively long ISAs to decode the formats (e.g. you stored them as 4 normalized shorts -> float4) when it should generate just one or two instructions. Granted, future driver versions would fix this.
If, for example, you use an UAV inside the vertex shader, the penalization becomes much bigger as there is no restrict equivalent and the loads become delayed and the shader suddenly blows with waitcnt instructions.

You will always have to have the knowledge to match appropriate vertex buffer data with vertex shaders.
The main difference is your PSO creation code doesn't need to know or care about the vertex format if you don't use the IA.
This brings a significant reduction in complexity and coupling IMO.

I work on AAA projects as well as smaller projects.

Reduces coupling? Agreed. But coupling became irrelevant with PSOs, because PSOs coupled almost everything together. In a D3D11 view; input layouts made my life hell because they mixed the shader, the vertex buffer, and the vertex layout; but this relation wasn't obvious so I tried to abstract the three separately and end up with an entangled mess. If you weren't careful enough, each vertex buffer would need one IA layout for each shader it was associated with (should this IA live with the vertex buffer? or with the shader?)
A PSO approach made my life much easier (even outside D3D12) since now vertex buffers just need to be accompanied by a vertex description, and to generate a PSO you need absolutely everything. And the result lives inside the PSO.

Because as a project becomes bigger, shader A works well on mesh M, N & O, but it should not be used with mesh P. To make it work on mesh P, you need shader A'

To detect this situation you need some form of vertex description to log a warning or automatically modify the shader (if emulating) so that Shader A becomes shader A'; or you let it glitch and lose a lot of time wondering what's going on (if someone notices it's glitching).

Maybe the artist exported P incorrectly. But without a vertex description, you can't tell why.

And if you're manually fetching vertex data via SV_VertexID, you need to grab the correct shader for P; or autogenerate it correctly (if it's tool assisted).

FWIW I believe this is the method Nitrous Engine uses.

Yes, Mantle had no vertex desc. because GCN didn't need them at all; so it just relied on StructuredBuffers. Though I always wondered if quirks like these were the reason D3D11 beats Mantle on GPU-bottleneck benchs. After all, they were relying on HLSL compiler to generate the shader; rather than using a shader language that better matches GCN.
D3D12 & Vulkan added them back because of the other vendors.

I personally shipped a project that 100% used manual vertex fetch in the shader, although this was for a particular console that has a AMD GCN variant as its GPU. AMD GPUs have no fixed-function vertex fetch, and so they implement "input assembler" functionality by generating small preamble for the VS that they call a "fetch shader". They can basically generate this fetch shader for any given input layout, and the vertex shader uses it through something analogous to a function call for their particular ISA. When the fetch shader runs, it pulls the data out of your vertex buffer(s) using SV_VertexID and SV_InstanceID, and deposits them all in registers. The vertex shader then knows which registers contain the vertex data according to convention, and it can proceed accordingly. Because of this setup, the fetch shader can sometimes have suboptimal code generation compared to a vertex shader that performs manual vertex fetch. The fetch shader must ensure that all vertex data is deposited into registers up-front, and must ensure that the loads are completed before passing control back to the VS. However if the VS is fetching vertex data, then the vertex fetches can potentially be interleaved with other VS operations, and can potentially re-use registers whose contents are no longer needed.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if it's the same when going through DX11, since there are additional API layers in the way that might prevent optimal code-gen. I'm also not sure which hardware still has fixed-function vertex fetch, and what kind of performance delta you can expect.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!