• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZBufferOP

Where do I get to learn about state of the art rendering techniques?

This topic is 1077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I am about to finish my bachelors degree and have taken undergraduate comptuer graphics classes to get in touch with rendering photorealistic scenes in realtime. Unfortunately, the course only covered the most basic stuff. I would like to get to know state of the art algorithms in the following fields:

- water rendering

- tessellation

- volumetric rendering

- global illumination

- SSAO

I have checked a couple books but they seem to be behind in terms of techniques. Does anyone have a tip on how to get to know how these things work? My goal is to render a good looking small scenery with water and foliage, rocks.

Advertisement

Mostly the thing to do is simply Google the topics and read the papers that come up. You'll usually get a mix of SIGGRAPH papers, NV/AMD slides, and GDC talks from game developers. You ahould also look at all of the SIGGRAPH proceedings for the last couple years, especially the courses on physically based shading.

Thanks, appreciate your answer.

Some of the gems in the books are now outdated. While it was great when it came out in 2004, it is now 2016. Whatever techniques you use are still something to research, even if the technique was awesome when published in a book a decade ago.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!