• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ovicior

Monogame vs Otter

This topic is 903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Wondering whether anyone has experience with Otter? Haven't heard much about it, but it seems like a solid choice.

If any of you have used it, how does it compare to Monogame?

I understand Monogame is a framework, while Otter is an engine.

Edited by Ovicior

Advertisement
I don't have any experience with Otter, and I'm certainly not one of the super-experienced guys on here. However, I have used Monogame, after messing with other frameworks, and I absolutely love Monogame. I can tell you that if you know how to program and are willing to do a bit of learning, using Monogame can be a great experience.

I also want to talk about framework vs. engine. Think about what you would like to do. Do you want to worry about the design of a game and things like the story? If so, an engine like Otter might be a better choice. However, if you'd like to program the gameplay and worry about things like making a sword swing or making an enemy knowledgable enough to know when to attack, then a framework like Monogame might be a better choice.

That's not to say there won't be overlap and that you can't worry about things like story of you use Monogame or low-level things like individual sword swings in Otter, but there is a difference in what you'll do. Engines are higher-level, as you probably know, so you'll worry less about small stuff and more about making a game.

In the end, decide what you want to do and make your choice based in that. I hope this helps you at least somewhat.

Hi Ovicior!

I see you are still looking around for C# based alternatives for Unity smile.png.
I have a small experience with Otter, but enough to make a guesstimate, of it's capabilities and supported work environment.
Compared to Monogame it is a bit higher level, sitting on top of the SFML framework (another guesstimate: SFML approximately matches XNA/Monogame in features). It is indeed more of a game engine, than XNA/Monogame, in the sense, that it provides higher level systems out of the box for creating games, like collisions, tile-maps, game object infrastructure etc...
But, it is yet far from the capabilities of the Unity engine, and has no tooling yet (no editor(s), no sophisticated pipeline), mainly requiring a close-to fully code driven approach, and focusing on 2d games only if I'm not mistaken.
If you would like to know more of it's state check these reviews:
A Closer Look at the Otter2D Game Engine (text version http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2015/10/25/A-Closer-Look-at-Otter2D.aspx)
I think the tutorials/reviews for game engines from Serapth are an invaluable resource!

Also if you would like to inspect other C# based engines besides Unity (as I see you are not convinced that Unity is for you smile.png, or you are yet to form a "friendship" with it) be sure to check the Duality and the Xenko (Paradox) engines! There are text+video reviews for these engines too on:
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-Engine-guides.aspx

Edited by Spidi

Hi Ovicior!
I see you are still looking around for C# based alternatives for Unity :).
I have a small experience with Otter, but enough to make a guesstimate, of it's capabilities and supported work environment.
Compared to Monogame it is a bit higher level, sitting on top of the SFML framework (another guesstimate: SFML approximately matches XNA/Monogame in features). It is indeed more of a game engine, than XNA/Monogame, in the sense, that it provides higher level systems out of the box for creating games, like collisions, tile-maps, game object infrastructure etc...
But, it is yet far from the capabilities of the Unity engine, and has no tooling yet (no editor(s), no sophisticated pipeline), mainly requiring a close-to fully code driven approach, and focusing on 2d games only if I'm not mistaken.
If you would like to know more of it's state check these reviews:A Closer Look at the Otter2D Game Engine (text version http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2015/10/25/A-Closer-Look-at-Otter2D.aspx)
I think the tutorials/reviews for game engines from Serapth are an invaluable resource!
Also if you would like to inspect other C# based engines besides Unity (as I see you are not convinced that Unity is for you :), or you are yet to form a "friendship" with it) be sure to check the Duality and the Xenko (Paradox) engines! There are text+video reviews for these engines too on:http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-Engine-guides.aspx

Thanks!
Im just looking for info and want to learn more.
I don't want to exclusively use Unity. I'd like to learn lower level stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!