Setting up Eclipse for education

Started by
3 comments, last by 3DModelerMan 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm trying to setup a super simplified distribution of Eclipse to use in an educational environment. I'm forced to use Eclipse because of the platform we're running on, but what I'd like to do is get rid of all the mylynn task view stuff, and all the other extra complexity that comes with the IDE, and I would also like to set a couple panels from the custom plugins we use to be visible by default. I've got it all setup in one workspace, but I'd like to change the defaults for all newly created workspaces and maybe change the welcome screen as well. Does anyone know of an extension, or some other method of doing this? Or is a custom source build going to be my only option?

Advertisement

I don't know details, but you may want to look into creating a perspective plugin that sets up the window layout (at least I think you can do that).

We use Eclipse for education too, but standard Eclipse proved to be too complicated, too many things to set up (downloading plugins, setting up workspace, etc), it may depend on the students experience with these things, also, we have a somewhat exotic setup, so ymmv.

In the end we created a "download zip, extract, run" setup, which works without problems.

Yeah, we've got an installer too for now. I'll look into the perspective plugin, cause that's the main thing giving us grief right now. Do you know if the default workspace directory can be specified relative to the eclipse install, or is that just going to have to be setup by the installer script?

Sorry, no idea. While I would expect it can be set (you can set everything in 3 ways, it seems), I am avoiding Eclipse as much as possible, due to its undocumented nature. I have better things to do in life than reverse engineer parts that its original creator could not even bother to explain properly.

(<rant>Typicial explanation about FooInterface: "This interface implements Foo". Just so completely useless! If you know what Foo is, it's not telling you anything new, if you don't know, you still don't know after reading it. ARGH! Why don't people get this? </rant>)

Good luck with your endavour, I hope you find a usable solution.

Thanks for the help. It got me started at least, which seems to be half the battle with Eclipse most of the time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement