Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm new

This topic is 5873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m new to both the forums and game programming. The most complicated program I''ve done so far is to calculate the determinant of a two by two or three by three matrix Pretty complicated stuff :p I''m using C++. What do you think I should do next? Which books should I get, what types of stuff should I try to do?

I think you should first decide what skills you want to learn with your first game - i.e. graphics, networking, AI, basic game-loop mechanics, etc... I''ve found that if I don''t pick a skill that I want to learn, I then program something that doesn''t stretch me far enough. I try to choose games from various genres just to help the learning process.

Blackjack and Tetris are two good games to start with to learn basic game mechanics and graphics. A simple tank combat clone is a good one to try too, since that teaches you a little bit about physics in-game.

Next, be sure to pick a game that you can finish. Yes, we all want to program the next Half-Life, but finishing a game is a very important part of writing it. A project that is too big will just stop half-way through. You don''t want to get in that habit. Pick a reasonable project, with reasonable goals, and then work up from there. There are a lot of skills small projects can teach you that you can then use in your first big games. But still, I tend to favor the smaller games unless I am working in a team.

And remember, people around here know how hard it is to make a game, especially your first ones. So if your game doesn''t look as cool as ones you''ve downloaded, don''t worry. You''ll get a fair shake on it with other game programmers.

Michael