How to texture a terrain with natural transition?

Started by
3 comments, last by jerry2 22 years, 5 months ago
now,the terrain programs r not the ones some time ago.we can c natural and abundant color covering on the terrain,from dark-green,grass-green to clay-yellow.i believe u guys have seen these beautiful pics and enjoyed them.but i''m a bit puzzled.how can i make the natual transition texture for terrain? i have two thought.first,we can make a fixed border for each sections;the other,we can make use of the heightmap,make the limit of the height,and give every block a different texture,e.g.0m-100m,we can texture a clay-yellow soil;100m-200m,we texture a grass-green one.etc. i don''t know exactly.could any one help me? jerry2 Programming,make a whole new world.
jerry2The God creates the world, the world creates the nature,the nature creates human. Human create...Everything.
Advertisement
Yes and between 99 - 101 you just blend the two textures on each other using the height values for alpha channel..

Additionally you could add another texture layer to the polys close to your camera, with just one channel, that display the structure of the ground like in Tribes2 ...

So when the blending by the height values work you could think about adding other blending values to your terrain data, e.g. you want to have brown dirty ground and grass on the same height level. Then add a char to every vertex, which will tell you how solid the grass or dirty ground should be...
quote:Original post by TheMummy

So when the blending by the height values work you could think about adding other blending values to your terrain data, e.g. you want to have brown dirty ground and grass on the same height level. Then add a char to every vertex, which will tell you how solid the grass or dirty ground should be...

sorry,but i don''t understand these.could u explain it for me?

jerry2
Programming,make a whole new world.
jerry2The God creates the world, the world creates the nature,the nature creates human. Human create...Everything.
Well you have two different textures on your height level which you want to apply. The unsigned character has values from 0-255. 0 means green grass, and 255 means dirty brown ground. When you have for example the value 128 you take 50% percent of grass texture and 50% of the ground ... That could look ugly when the surface with 50% grass and brown is to large ... But when you use just for transitions between grass and ground it should work ...
try it .. want to see the result

Edited by - TheMummy on November 17, 2001 3:24:29 PM
ok.thank u

jerry2
Programming,make a whole new world.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement