Shadows theory.

Started by
1 comment, last by Laszlo Fuleki 8 years, 3 months ago

I’ve implemented a spot light and placed it under big plate (1).

[attachment=30140:Shadow Question.gif]

On top of the plate I’ve placed two smaller plates: (2) and (3) with a little space between them.

There are 2 problems:
a. My shader calculates color for plate (2) as it is not occluded by plate (1).
b. Bottom of a plate (3) is rendered much brighter than it should be.

It seems for me that the only way I have, is to implement shadows to remove these artifacts.
Question1: is it correct?

I’ve read that there are several different ways to implement shadow effects:

1. Via shadow mapping.
  2. SSAO
  3. SSDO (improved SSAO?)

I have an idea that Shadow maps should be used with SSAO/SSDO to make final image better.
Question2: is it correct?

SSAO or SSDO alone will not completely fix artifacts (a) and (b) on the picture.
Question3: is this correct?

For now, I am thinking on some simplest shadow algorithm implementation and after a while replace it with more advanced.
Question4: which algorithm would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
PS: I am using real-time rendering.

Advertisement

It seems for me that the only way I have, is to implement shadows to remove these artifacts.
Question1: is it correct?

They aren’t “artifacts”, they are simply the result of an incomplete rendering process.
Shadows would fix these issues.

I have an idea that Shadow maps should be used with SSAO/SSDO to make final image better.
Question2: is it correct?

Yes.

SSAO or SSDO alone will not completely fix artifacts (a) and (b) on the picture.
Question3: is this correct?

They will not. Ambient occlusion occludes ambience, shadows occlude direct light. They are separate techniques for separate purposes, although the ambient-occlusion data can be used with direct lights in ways that further enhance the lighting of a scene.

For now, I am thinking on some simplest shadow algorithm implementation and after a while replace it with more advanced.
Question4: which algorithm would you suggest?

http://codeflow.org/entries/2013/feb/15/soft-shadow-mapping/#hard-shadow-mapping

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Also, while choosing a shadowing algorithm, keep in mind that different algorithms are better suited for different situations. For instance, in a large outdoor area with a single directional light (e.g. the Sun), many use cascaded shadow maps, while indoors for instance variance shadow maps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement