• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Happy SDE

Shadows theory.

This topic is 990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I’ve implemented a spot light and placed it under big plate (1).

[attachment=30140:Shadow Question.gif]

On top of the plate I’ve placed two smaller plates: (2) and (3) with a little space between them.

There are 2 problems:
   a. My shader calculates color for plate (2) as it is not occluded by plate (1).
   b. Bottom of a plate (3) is rendered much brighter than it should be.

It seems for me that the only way I have, is to implement shadows to remove these artifacts.
Question1: is it correct?

I’ve read that there are several different ways to implement shadow effects:

1. Via shadow mapping.
  2. SSAO
  3. SSDO (improved SSAO?)

I have an idea that Shadow maps should be used with SSAO/SSDO to make final image better.
Question2: is it correct?

SSAO or SSDO alone will not completely fix artifacts (a) and (b) on the picture.
Question3: is this correct?

For now, I am thinking on some simplest shadow algorithm implementation and after a while replace it with more advanced.
Question4: which algorithm would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
PS: I am using real-time rendering.

Edited by Happy SDE

Advertisement

Also, while choosing a shadowing algorithm, keep in mind that different algorithms are better suited for different situations. For instance, in a large outdoor area with a single directional light (e.g. the Sun), many use cascaded shadow maps, while indoors for instance variance shadow maps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!