Sports Simulation Noob

Started by
7 comments, last by Alberth 8 years, 3 months ago

I am very interested in making a sports management simulation game (similar to Football manager etc.) But I have absolutely no coding experience and ive never taken coding classes, would it even be possible for me to create this game? And if so, how would I go about doing it?

P.S. I want to make it on PC

Advertisement

Yes it would be possible. How long it takes depends on you.

A sports management game is actually a good candidate to use whilst you learn coding too as you can break bit off as individual componants that can be implemented as you learn new programming constructs. You can write various small programs that do individual parts of the simulation as you learn to code. For example match fixture calculator, program to sort teams into leagues, data structure and algorithms to hold player stats and information, match simulation.

I vaguely recall way back when I was first learning Turbo Pascal at college one of the exercises we had to do was to write a program that created league groups for 20:20 cricket tournaments and another was to calculate split timings for Triathalons.

For what its worth I have worked on mobile versions of FIFA manager and for this game the designer actually wrote the whole game using Microsoft Excel before we actually did any "real" programming.

Yes it would be possible. How long it takes depends on you.

A sports management game is actually a good candidate to use whilst you learn coding too as you can break bit off as individual componants that can be implemented as you learn new programming constructs. You can write various small programs that do individual parts of the simulation as you learn to code. For example match fixture calculator, program to sort teams into leagues, data structure and algorithms to hold player stats and information, match simulation.

I vaguely recall way back when I was first learning Turbo Pascal at college one of the exercises we had to do was to write a program that created league groups for 20:20 cricket tournaments and another was to calculate split timings for Triathalons.

For what its worth I have worked on mobile versions of FIFA manager and for this game the designer actually wrote the whole game using Microsoft Excel before we actually did any "real" programming.

Thanks, now as someone with no experience in this field, how would I be best to start off on getting knowledge?

If you have a vision of your game being done with a computer, start learning to program imho.

Python is a very nice language to start with.

During learning to program don't stick to your game, feel free to explore other parts of the world, perhaps also program a few simpler games first to get a bit acquainted with the field.

For your game, you must get a vision of how it is played. How many players, what is done, what is the aim of the game, what are the difficulties that the player encounters? Things like that. Then you must flesh out those ideas into concrete lists of things that happen, or lists of things a user can choose between and so on.

You likely want to do a "paper" version (where paper can be an excel sheet if that looks useful to you), basically anything to test whether your ideas work. For this kind of discussion you may want to head to the "Game Design" forum.

If you have a vision of your game being done with a computer, start learning to program imho.

Python is a very nice language to start with.

During learning to program don't stick to your game, feel free to explore other parts of the world, perhaps also program a few simpler games first to get a bit acquainted with the field.

For your game, you must get a vision of how it is played. How many players, what is done, what is the aim of the game, what are the difficulties that the player encounters? Things like that. Then you must flesh out those ideas into concrete lists of things that happen, or lists of things a user can choose between and so on.

You likely want to do a "paper" version (where paper can be an excel sheet if that looks useful to you), basically anything to test whether your ideas work. For this kind of discussion you may want to head to the "Game Design" forum.

Thanks a lot for the help! I'll look into Python!

While learning to program you can also start planning out the formulas and probabilities used in the simulation. Just do it on paper or like Buster said in excel. When I was planning out my basketball manager game I made a simple board game version during the early planning phases. It was a turn based game using dice to decide actions. It was simple but helped a lot in figuring out what would be needed in the simulation later and what factored into the result of an action. For example shooting uses the shooting ability, near by defenders ability, distance to the basket, are they using catch and shoot or dribbling first etc.... These are all things you can look at now.

I'm meeting up with my "partner" in this project on Friday, how exactly did you do this board game? As i think it may be a good idea for a start on our game

While learning to program you can also start planning out the formulas and probabilities used in the simulation. Just do it on paper or like Buster said in excel. When I was planning out my basketball manager game I made a simple board game version during the early planning phases. It was a turn based game using dice to decide actions. It was simple but helped a lot in figuring out what would be needed in the simulation later and what factored into the result of an action. For example shooting uses the shooting ability, near by defenders ability, distance to the basket, are they using catch and shoot or dribbling first etc.... These are all things you can look at now.

If you have no programming experience, you and your partner might want to take a few months to learn the basics. Put your idea on the fridge, choose a language and start writing small programs, and after that, small games.

Usually our first game sucks, so if you don't want your sport management game to be good, you should not start with that.

Haha, well, that problem likely will never disappear smile.png

I have been writing code for a few decades, and I still have that problem. My first attempt usually fails at some point where I hit an unexpected block, or at best "it works", but not as I want it. No problem I just write it again. The second time you have a much better idea where you want to end up due to new information you learned from the first time, and the result is therefore much better. It may sound like a lot of work, but the 2nd time is much quicker, as you don't need to do thinking for things that were right the first time.

Usually, the second time is sufficient for me. However, if I would rewrite it again, it still improves.

Don't be afraid to throw away code, or try it a second or third time. The real battle is in finding out how to solve the problem with a computer, rather than in writing the solution into code. The more you work with the problem, the better you understand how it behaves, and the better your solution becomes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement