• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Juliean

WMVCore.dll missing under Windows 10

This topic is 1075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I've just installed Windows 10 N (clean install, no upgrade) and installed Visual Studio 2015 Update 1. Now, when trying to start my application, I get an DLL-missing error message box saying that an "WMVCore.DLL" is not found, and it fails to start.

So google showed that apparently you need to install the "Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10", which I did for both x86 and x64 versions. Still, even after a restart, it says the DLL cannot be found.

Did anyone have a similar issue with Windows 10? How can I solve this, and why do I even need to do that in the first place? The only external library I'm including is the DirectX June 2010 SDK, and yeah I'm obviously using the windows headers but what does it need this DLL for?

Thanks!

Advertisement

What are the Windows 10 N and KN Editions?

...these editions include all the base features of the operating system but without Windows Media Player and related technologies pre-installed.

So if you install the edition of Windows without the media features, you shouldn't be surprised to find that the media features are missing.

No, this isn't a Windows 10 issue; it's specific to the edition of Windows you installed (the N edition) and an N edition has existed for all Windows versions back to at least XP.  If you installed the N edition of XP you'd get the same result.

Description of Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N

In compliance with the European Commission Decision, Microsoft has released new versions of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft Windows XP Professional for distribution in Europe. These new versions are named Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N, where "N" stands for "Not with Windows Media Player."

So as you can see, this edition exists in order to comply with an EU directive - if you wish to blame anyone for it, you can blame those who assaulted Microsoft with lawsuits over their bundling of media players and browsers with Windows decades back.

So if you install the edition of Windows without the media features, you shouldn't be surprised to find that the media features are missing.

Uh, so thats what its about. I didn't even want to install Windows 10 N but failed to realize that this was a specific version until it was too late.

I think I know what part of my code might require the media features then, its probably my MP3-loading routine.

Still, as I said I already installed the media feature pack: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229

When I try to install it again it says it is already installed, and from what I've read this should include the missing media stuff for Windows N... but somewhow I still have no media player and get the missing DLL-issue. Any idea why?

Still, as I said I already installed the media feature pack: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229
When I try to install it again it says it is already installed, and from what I've read this should include the missing media stuff for Windows N... but somewhow I still have no media player and get the missing DLL-issue. Any idea why?

Are you on the November 2015 (1511) build of Windows 10?  If not, there's an earlier version of the media pack that may work: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3010081

Personally though, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'd blow it away and reinstall a non-N version.  Sure it sounds like a drastic solution to something that should be simple, but when the alternative is lots of faffing about and never being 100% certain that everything is fully resolved, I'd have no problems with recommending the drastic solution.

Are you on the November 2015 (1511) build of Windows 10? If not, there's an earlier version of the media pack that may work: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3010081

Not sure what build I'm in, but the older media pack doesn't want to install (something about my computer not being compatible).

Personally though, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'd blow it away and reinstall a non-N version. Sure it sounds like a drastic solution to something that should be simple, but when the alternative is lots of faffing about and never being 100% certain that everything is fully resolved, I'd have no problems with recommending the drastic solution.

The problem is, I can't even really do that, because I only have an N-compatible key - I bought Windows 10 over my universities dreamspark program, which only allows you to buy 1 key, and this key only works with the version ordered.

But oh well, I found a somewhat easy solution - just searched my old windows installation for the missing dlls and put them in the System32-folder. Pretty hacky, but who cares, its running now at least :)

But oh well, I found a somewhat easy solution - just searched my old windows installation for the missing dlls and put them in the System32-folder. Pretty hacky, but who cares, its running now at least smile.png

AFAIK windows will check the working directory for DLL's before system32, So that could help avoid any issues due to some kind of breaking changes in windows or something.

HTH

But oh well, I found a somewhat easy solution - just searched my old windows installation for the missing dlls and put them in the System32-folder. Pretty hacky, but who cares, its running now at least smile.png

AFAIK windows will check the working directory for DLL's before system32, So that could help avoid any issues due to some kind of breaking changes in windows or something.

HTH

A better alternative - for certain values of "better" - is to grab the missing DLLs from an eval copy of Windows 10.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!