• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deepg

Game runnning c# and silverlight

This topic is 1075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone!

We have been running our game for a while now using c# and Silverlight with quite a user base.

Since we haven't updated anything visual to the user ever since the game's launch, we were thinking of changing that for 2016.

Since our game is ran in a web browser and that chrome has dropped Silverlight, i wanted to make a move and use something else.

Now i was wondering if such thing is possible without a complete rewrite of the game and what should be used instead of Silverlight.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to do a complete rewrite and probably HTML5 is the way togo using maybe cocos 2d HTML5. I'm not sure how much of your code is translatable to Unity since its preferred language used is C# and you can build for a web player. 

As you are finding Silverlight is dead, MS has dropped it as it failed to really take off due to the horrible limitations etc.

There is no real option to replace Silverlight in the browser using .NET so you are really looking at...

- Move to WPF and limit yourself to Windows only

- Rewrite to HTML 5 and Javascript.

The later might not be as drastic as you think if you have split your code up correctly as there are C# to JavaScript compilers that means you could keep all your game logic in C# and compile to JS for running in the browser.

The later might not be as drastic as you think if you have split your code up correctly as there are C# to JavaScript compilers that means you could keep all your game logic in C# and compile to JS for running in the browser.

Will that make my source code viewable? If yes, is there a way around that?

Yes the file are split up correctly and i never thought of that option. Where can i find useful information on that subject?

Thank you very much!!

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to do a complete rewrite and probably HTML5 is the way togo using maybe cocos 2d HTML5. I'm not sure how much of your code is translatable to Unity since its preferred language used is C# and you can build for a web player.

The Unity web player won't run in chrome either, chrome dropped its old plugin API and its new API is far more restrictive (and supposedly far more secure).

Unity does however have an option to export to html5/webgl and you can use the webplayer as a fallback for older browsers.

Will that make my source code viewable? If yes, is there a way around that?

Yes the file are split up correctly and i never thought of that option. Where can i find useful information on that subject?

Thank you very much!!

Google is your friend :) There are a number of options available, I believe there is a Microsoft scunkworks version as wellsomewhere but can't rememeber which one it is.

As with JS your code will be accessible but then if someone can get your .NET dll from silverlight it is a very simple task to decompile to full code. I use resharper and it can pull apart any dll if it can't find the source on a public repo.

Here are some of the compiler options

https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=c%23%20to%20javascript%20compiler

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!