• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
redkazuo

On making a simple open world game

This topic is 900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. Five years ago I left my career in desktop and embedded programming. Although I never stopped scratching some itches, I now yearn for some nice gruesome programming. I have some experience developing games (mostly cell phone games in the pre android era, but a couple of Ogre3D games too.)

Anyhow, here goes: is there any open source implemmentation of a simple open world game that I can take a look at? Or books, perhaps?

I'm not going for anything AAA, I don't need amazing graphics or anything like that. I'd just like to play with some mechanics I've been designing. I think I'm going to make a C++ server and deal with the client later (for my purposes, any crude client interface is fine for now - even roguelike text).

Particularly, I've been wondering what kind of data structures are used to keep track of the maps, player and npc positions etc. in a large but not necessarily densely packed world.

Advertisement
Honestly? It's really just arrays or maybe lists. In a sparse world it doesn't always make sense to use a spatially-driven data structure, and some of the edge cases (clusters of players/monsters) can deteriorate badly in popular spatial systems.

Maps are likely heightfields with additional model geometry layered on top of them for buildings, trees, etc.

There's not a lot of magic to "open world" outside of rendering the actual world.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!