Beginner looking for help with 2D 8Bit based game.

Started by
4 comments, last by technos 8 years, 3 months ago

Hello,

I've been interested in becoming a game developer ever since I've started playing video games. EarthBound and Mario are my main inspiration to actually attempt to learn about making games. Since I'm very bad at understanding coding and computers, I'm looking for help getting started with this difficult task. I mainly want to develop 8Bit RPGs and adventure games.

Advertisement

If you're bad at understanding coding and computers, learn programming logic. Go with Python for now, and try Codecademy. You'll hopefully learn basic programming from there. Mario is actually pretty complex, even though it looks simple. You'll want to try to make Pong first.

If you choose to stick with Python, Pygame is a good tool to make games.

Good luck!

What will you make?

If your main goal is to make 8bit jrpg, I would definitely take a look at RPG maker, probably the newest which is MV or you could use older ones, which are a lot cheaper. Although I think a lot of people do avoid playing games made with RPG maker, I still honestly think that it is quite a lot more productive to use that, than actually first spend couple of years to learn to program, then eventually start making your game. To get more out of RPG maker, you would anyways have to learn programming, but at least it does a lot of things for you and you can focus most of your time in actually making the game / content, rather than on everything else.

Edit: something to note, if you decide to go with older version of rpg maker, the resolution of the game you are making, will be very limited by todays standards, which is really a good reason imo to go with MV, in case you decide to actually use RPG Maker.

GameMaker is really easy to learn, but has a lot of possibility. HeartBeast https://www.youtube.com/user/uheartbeast/videos is just one of the many channels offering help to people getting started. I recommend it highly.

I know you might be eager to leap straight into a visual game, but put that aside for a while and focus your efforts into learning how to program, first. Once you know the basics(text, input, files, conditions & loops) then proceed to write a text-based game.

Yes, it will take time and some patience, but it'll be well worth it. If you can find value in just variables, condition statements and loops then you will know for sure that you are a game developer at heart. Give yourself as much time as you need for this and most importantly, have fun with it! Not only are you learning the prized skill of programming, you are also able to flex your imagination, even if the output is just limited to text on the screen.

I usually recommend C( not C++ ) as a first language, but you can actually use any that you are comfortable with; Python is a very popular choice with beginners, for instance.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you at least have fun!

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

You could try an all-inclusive tutorial for a basic game like flappy bird. I myself gave this one a shot:

http://2dgameworld.com/create-a-game-like-flappy-bird-for-ios-using-spritekit/

It's short enough to give you an understanding of the code involved.

My advice: just jump in and start programming, figure out the basics later!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement