• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sasha37

Hitting the keyboard limit

This topic is 926 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I just ran into a problem while making a small simple fighting game in java.

It is co op, with one player on left side (wasd) and other on the right side (arrows) of the keyboard. But now playing it I easily hit the keyboard's limit of the registered number of keys pressed at the same time.

What is the workaround for this? (besides buying high-end keyboard just to play this game)

Thanks

Advertisement
Keyboards usually have these limitations. Many key combinations will be too much for the keyboard to handle. There are some combinations that may allow you to press like, five keys together, but that may be totally keyboard dependent. My laptop has quite a decent keyboard, it's comfortable (for me, even though keys wiggle a little) and can handle many keys pressed at once, depending on what keys you are pressing, but it's still not perfect. So...

Gamepads r way2go.

This is a hardware limitation of the way keyboards are designed. Some keyboards will allow more keys, some can't even detect two keys (if they're certain keys). This is commonly called "rollover". There is also "ghosting" where pressing certain combinations of keys will actually cause an extra, different key to be registered instead.

The best solution is to support key rebinding for those without other input devices (so they can find keys that feel comfortable and which their keyboard will work with), as well as supporting additional input devices like gamepads.

Thank you guys for some clarity on this.

I certainly will make a support for gamepads and rebinding, but please tell me then what would be the swiftest way to test which keys (or groups of keys) on a keyboard are together on a same sensor or circuit?

...what would be the swiftest way to test which keys (or groups of keys) on a keyboard are together on a same sensor or circuit?

You have to physically test (or disassemble and examine the circuitry for) each particular keyboard. Different manufacturers design their circuitry differently. There is no software method to examine the keyboard's circuitry, but you can provide a utility like Star Control did that lets the users see on-screen what keypresses are being received. Every keyboard is different, so this is something that the player will do themselves. Edited by Nypyren

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!