• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RaptorMoonX

Masters Degree for Someone Who Wants to Become a Producer

This topic is 993 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(I'm posting this on other forums as well.)

Hello!

I was asked by a friend to help her start her indie game company (remotely, in my case; she's in California and I'm clear across the US). I already have my BSc in Game Design, an AAB in Flash Game Programming, and a certificate in Interactive Entertainment Technology (plus several other degrees and certificates that I don't think really pertain to game development). She asked me if I'd ever consider getting a master's degree. It's been something I've been thinking about doing once I get the money. I want to ultimately be a producer and I was wondering what I should think about when it comes to a masters degree. Here are two that I've found so far:

I'm still looking, but I'm asking what else should I look for in my search? I want to make sure I can not only help my friend, but also help myself in the future if need be. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will answer any inquiries as soon as I can. I'm recovering from a medical procedure I had done a week before Christmas and I'm also taking care of my father while he recovers from a knee replacement that he had done three days before Christmas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)
Edited by Raptor-chan

Advertisement

She asked me if I'd ever consider getting a master's degree. It's been something I've been thinking about doing

That intro to your question doesn't tell us enough. Your question seems to be, "where should I get my Masters so I can be a producer," but doesn't ask "do I need a Masters degree to be a producer."
Where doesn't matter, if you've decided you want to go for it.
But you don't need a Masters degree, really. It would be a good thing to have if you ever decide to go into teaching, as I have.
If you want to learn skills that will be of help to you in producing, you could consider an MBA. Especially if in the future you might want to form a startup.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!