• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sunsflower

Lua(jit) userdata metatable lost ?

This topic is 898 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote this in lua:
body1 = physics.newbody("dynamic", 500, 100, 0)
body1:applyforce(10000, 0)
node2 = graphics.new_physnode(node1, body1, "phys1")
body1:applyforce(10000, 0)
the first time I called applyforce, it worked well. But at the second time, it became a nil value. So maybe it's the new_physnode that mess things up? this is new_physnode:
int l_new_physnode(lua_State* L) {
	ShapeNode* shapenode = (ShapeNode*)lua_touserdata(L, 1);
	Physics::hdbody body = (Physics::hdbody)lua_touserdata(L, 2);
	string name = lua_tostring(L, 3);
	PhysNode* physnode = graphics.new_physnode(shapenode, body, name);
	lua_pushlightuserdata(L, physnode);
	luaL_getmetatable(L, "Lua.Node");
	lua_setmetatable(L, -2);
	return 1;
}
it will just copy the pointer of body and shapenode then store them in physnode. yet I cannot get it to work. Why this is happening?(body's metatable becomes null but node's metatable remain the same...) thanks!

Advertisement

Physics::hdbody body = (Physics::hdbody)lua_touserdata(L, 2);

What's that "Physics::hdbody" ?

If that's not a pointer, then physnode gets linked to temporary object on stack. After you exit l_new_physnode, physnode will be operating on invalid memory.

lua_pushlightuserdata(L, physnode);

Note: light userdata has no individual metatables.

If you want metatables - use normal userdata.

...userdata has to be a block of memory which means I'll have to put the node's memory in it. What if I just want the function to return a pointer with a metatable instead of allocate new memory?(I shall manage memory in c++)

You need to use a normal userdata so you must allocate it from LUA. If you want to manage your node's memory in C++ instead, you can allocate a userdata with the size of a pointer and store the pointer to the node in it. You'll have a double redirection but it will do what you want.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!