Want to create a game but can't code, tips appreciated!

Started by
16 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 8 years, 3 months ago

But there is a problem, I can't code

Well you've already identified your problem. The solution is rather easy, why don't you learn to code? It's not really as hard as you say, but it does take time.

But I mean if you want to learn to knit you research how to do it and you practice. You don't tape together pieces other knitters have made and then call it a finished work; not if you want something to come from it.

I wouldn't say you "cant" code, but the point is if you really want to make something you're going to have to put as much effort in as you want to get out of it.

Advertisement

You can't code but can you do content or concept art? If so you have a better chance of making a team to get a project done. You are saying you have a design right?... look into game design documents.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

You could try Game Maker - a visual drag-and-drop based program. ... but it is good for beginners imo.

I 4th this suggestion. VERY STRONGLY.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You could try Game Maker - a visual drag-and-drop based program. ... but it is good for beginners imo.

I 4th this suggestion. VERY STRONGLY.

Game Maker will eventually limit him. Perhaps it's best that he learns some Python or Java (Or both!) at Code Academy and moves to Unity? Unity is much more powerful and flexible, and he can later move onto things like Monogame if he wants more control/customized tools.

If you do get into Unity, OP, don't use Boo or JavaScript. There's not many resources for them, and they are not very useful either (As they are customized to Unity, and won't match their "real" counterparts).

What will you make?

Perhaps it's best that he learns some Python or Java (Or both!) at Code Academy and moves to Unity?

I can't recommend Code Academy and Khan Academy enough. Both are very valuable resources for beginners.

Hi everyone,

thanks everyone for commenting and giving tips, I really appreciate it!

You can make a full game in Unreal Engine with all the needed logic and interactions using Blueprints. Blueprints is a great way to program for people who don't want to code. Go ahead and watch a few videos and see if it seems doable to you.

I second this, but it's still coding.

Just because youre dragging and dropping boxes into a flow chart and connecting them with lines, it doesn't mean it's not coding, it's just visual scripting.

You will still need to understand the maths concepts behind software, such as variables, arrays, loops and conditional branches, otherwise you will just fail to grasp the concept.

The very first time i tried to write a program in basic for example, when i was 12, i couldnt grasp the idea of "A = A + 1" and kept thinking i had to have a new variable each time, because in my mind "A = A + 1" didn't balance as algebra and made no sense due to the way it was taught in school.

As soon as i got used to the idea of variables being 'black boxes' for data storage (this is a great way for a newbie to grasp the concept by the way) it all made sense.

I suggest if you do want to create a game you learn the basics of programming even if you dont want to program. You'll need to communicate with programmers so it's best to speak a bit of their language, "pidgin-programmer" if you will. Lean the basics of flow charts, program flow, and loops, and you'll at least be able to express your ideas in a simple unambiguous way that a programmer will understand.

Good luck!

Game Maker will eventually limit him.

Eventually. But not right now. And not for a long time. I'm not against learning to program. But if the point is to make games and learn some programming skills/knowledge, then Game Maker meets both criteria.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement