Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrain. Im stuck please help !!!

This topic is 5873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am trying for 2 months now , to get the height of a terrain at ANY x/z position. But i can''t get it to work or work correctly. I used the getheight method from opengl game programming book but this gives a bumppie effect. And if the hill is to high i can get the y pos and i walk right through the hill. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how i can get the ypos at any point on the terrain. (Or even better some code or pseudo code). Some details of the method i use, almost the same as in ogl game programming: I give up the mapx mapx and mapscale. I read the terrain from a heightmap. It is stored in a terraindata[mapx][mapz][3]. Calculating the height points: terraindata[x][z][0]= float(x)*mapscale terraindata[x][z][1]= (float)heightmap[z*mapz+x)*3] terraindata[x][z][2]= -float(z)*mapscale The vertices are drawn in this order 0---->1 / / 2---->3 And render it using GL_TRIANLE_STRIP Thanks Boldyman