gmax

Started by
18 comments, last by chillah 22 years, 4 months ago
If games is your goal, nothing can even come close to gMax as a freeware modeler. I personally use Max4, but if I didn''t have that option I would definetly use gMax. It''s just a stripped down version of Max, and it has every function you need to make an awesome game model. Definetly try it out... Only 21 MB (_very_ small dl by today''s standards)
Peon
Advertisement
I''ve gotta chime in with my 2cents. So far the program seems to be just "blah". I would say that it is a rather complex interface for beginners, and intermdiates. I''ve had more luck with Milkshape3D. gmax also randomly crashes on my ''puter : AMD 450,128mb SD RAM, Voodoo3pci(16mb). But, its prolly just me.
-out-
Here's a new dance everyone can do, do the Kirby:<(*.*<) <(^.^)> (>*.*)> <(^.^)> <(*.*<) (>^.^)>
A few weeks ago i was curious about Gmax, so I downloaded it. Basically t''s a scaled down version of 3D Studio MAX. If you are serious about getting into making games, then you just about can''t go wrong with Max (or Gmax). A lot of studios, including mine, use Max as a main development tool.

-Mike
"I would say that it is a rather complex interface for beginners, and intermdiates"

Nah, you just gotta keep at it I started with Truespace, but started using Max over a year ago. I''m still a newbie by far, but I wouldn''t consider the interface overly complex. Like everything, it takes time. Now, the LW interface on the other hand... hehe
Peon
Hey just wondering, does it work on a screen with 800x600 resulotion? The website said something about it, but everything else on my laptop is above the min specs.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Hey just wondering, does it work on a screen with 800x600 resulotion? The website said something about it, but everything else on my laptop is above the min specs.

Yes it does. I run at 800x600 and it works fine. Also the user interface is not necessarilly complex, but just huge. Just download the tutorial, which contains 7 or 8 tutorials, and you will learn some cool tricks and how to use some of the interface. Once you get started, you can then experiment with the rest of it a little at a time. I have tried trueSpace and Cybermotion 3D, but gMax just blows them away with ease of use, as well has detail level of editing options. With gMax, you can edit right down to the individual vertex.

You probably can with those other 2, but I couldn''t find out where. Also, the tutorial for gMax, specifically showed you how.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
So you can''t export your models to your own engine. Man, that sucks. That defeats the purpose of downloading it. Well, at least for your own game developement. Now,speaking of resolution, I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 with a Geforce2Go mobile GPU and run at 1400x1050. Does gmax support this resolution for rendering?

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Has anyone had any luck with Gmax and Windows XP?

Grellin - IGP
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
1) How much is gmax for developers?
2) You should be able to export from the free user gmax using MaxScript. Or?
quote:Original post by Diodor
2) You should be able to export from the free user gmax using MaxScript. Or?

Nope. That part of the scripting language is disabled for the free version. Gmax is worthless as a game development environment unless you register with Discreet or wish to use Quake3 as an intermediate file format.

--
http://www.3dcgi.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement