C vs Java (+ frameworks), Engines...?

Started by
5 comments, last by TheChubu 8 years, 3 months ago

Hey guys,

after using stuff like Android, Hibernate, Spring and RMI with good old Swing usage and the newer JavaFX too in Java, and Qt for C++ (& opengl for other projects) I want to start getting my hands into the game scene where I feel like I belong.

General game idea before asking the questions:

I generally want to make a 2D game with a underlying map, where menues will appear on top of it, like tables and stuff. You can drag stuff around and while dragging there will be a window directly under your mouse pointer showing character stats etc., which you can do for positioning. Afterwards you come to a battle screen and you basically fight with simple clicking, sort of turn-based. Character turns are shown and animations are shown where they are, after having used their turn, inserted again between other characters, thanks to speed. When clicking to attack or being attacked, other animations are shown which before where just some idle animations. Meanwhile I need to save a lot of Data for the different characters, especially concerning character specific decisions. Additionally conversations are being hold in extra screens where the Characters have bigger images and the text is in a designated Box below, like most Visual Novels do.

You don't have to have a clear idea on what this does, but I hope it helps to understand what I basically need.

So, now I'm standing here and don't know what to do. I've got Gamemaker, I have UE4, Ren'Py and RPGMakerVXAce, all with some experience. I have experience with C++ and QT since this year and 7 year long java developement experience which is the language I feel the most secure with. Additionally I have some Python skills but I am not exactly fond of them.

I recently found out about:

• Java Leightweight Game Library (LWJGL)
  • Torque2D
  • Some frameworks with LWJGL
  • Other frameworks concerning C++

Plainly put, I have absolutely no idea what is useful for what I want and what the limitations of those frameworks are. I would love some sort of overview.

I want to reach my goal to fullfilling this without running into to many problems based on my decision of using the wrong framework. Gamemaker, RPGMaker & Unreal Engine 4 surely are NOT what I want to run with as they are sure to create more problems than those they eliminate.

So basically I need some basic idea on what framework to use based on:

• 2D Images and Animations
  • Lots of Information being stored based on decisions, items, etc.
  • Somewhat simple battle system
  • Enemy KI that attacks regions on the map, growing based on my algorithms
  • Very fast with no slowdowns(Memory handling?)
  • Visual Novel style discussions
  • Edit: maybe handling the camera, like zooming on something during the action... Darkest Dungeon is a great example for this one!

Care to enlighten me on what to choose in this jungle of frameworks?

Advertisement

Check libgdx: https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

What about QGraphicsView (Qt)? I did some 2D games with it and it's really nice.

Just an extra, in case you decide to use libgdx (which, AFAIK is the most well developed open source java engine), you should take a look at overlap2d. It is a scene editor that integrates very well with libdgx.

http://overlap2d.com/

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

There is JMonkeyEngine too, which sells itself as an engine rather than a framework.

Site is jmonkeyengine.org but it seems down at the moment : /

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Now that I was on that page, google is spitting it out everywhere when I search something, when before it wasn't at all. Thanks for that ;P

Looks really good though and since I actually would prefer Java for a fine portfolio project that actually gets done, I will give this a shot!

What about QGraphicsView (Qt)? I did some 2D games with it and it's really nice.

I wasn't too happy with it and its performance when doing various Visualizations like Raycasting or simple translating. While I know the problems I had with my code etc. it definitely didn't leave the best impression on my. Or I just wasn't that happy with it. Don't know, but thanks for the suggestion :)

Just an extra, in case you decide to use libgdx (which, AFAIK is the most well developed open source java engine), you should take a look at overlap2d. It is a scene editor that integrates very well with libdgx.

http://overlap2d.com/

Care to elaborate on that? Do I get it right that the simple advantage is basically the export in json which I can easily integrate to make it work instantly?

Or why would I really WANT to use this? What does it make easier for me?

There is JMonkeyEngine too, which sells itself as an engine rather than a framework.

Site is jmonkeyengine.org but it seems down at the moment : /

I fail to see the advantage of this over Unreal Engine where I already got some experience. I guess I want my possibilites to be more open with me not being limited in certain ways, being the reason of me seeking alternatives. At least I think so. Or I just want to code. :D

Though you got me interested - Is this engine out there for people who want something for free or does it something actually special except that and/or better than other alternatives? (Yes, here I am a bit too lazy .. try to sell it to me for the future haha :) )

Though you got me interested - Is this engine out there for people who want something for free or does it something actually special except that and/or better than other alternatives? (Yes, here I am a bit too lazy .. try to sell it to me for the future haha )
I'm not selling anything, I never used it. Site is up now http://jmonkeyengine.org. Do what you will.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement