• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vlj

Why does MSVC warn that "not all control path returns a value" with enum class ?

This topic is 913 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

With pre C++11 enum MSVC printed a warning in switch statement if there was no default value even if all enum values were covered.

Since these enums were sort of alias of int value this was ok.

The behavior is still the same with enum class which are strongly typed now. However I was expecting that the strong typing ensured that the compiler would consider that the only valid value are the one declared between the brace of enum class declaration. 

I know that it's valid to cast an int to an enum class value ; however I though that such cast was undefined behaviour if the int value was out of the enum class values.

Is there a reason MSVC do that ?

Clang and gcc seem not to emit such warning (clang only print a warning if not all enum value are covered and list them). 

Advertisement
Hmm, what would happen if I did this?

enum class Foo : int
{
   Bar = 0,
   Baz = 1
}

Foo bar = Foo::Bar;
*reinterpret_cast<int*>(&bar) = 3;
switch (bar)
{
case Bar:
   // ...
   break;
case Baz:
   // ...
   break;
}
Edited by Oberon_Command

Per the standard as of November '14, you invoke undefined behavior if you do this and the value of a is not a valid enum value:

TLDR: This is perfectly fine; leaving out the type specifier (the int part) results in unspecified behavior (so any value may be assigned if it is not 0 or 1)

{
   Bar,
   Baz
};

int main() {
	int a;
	std::cin >> a;
	Foo foo = static_cast<Foo>(a);
	std::cout << static_cast<int>(foo) << std::endl;
	return 0;
}

This compiled and ran without warnings in gcc and no dog was shot/poisoned in the process. Maybe the MSVC compiler implements an older version of the standard? Back then foo was an unspecified value of its underlying type, but allowed to be outside of of its value range.

From a compiler standpoint the easiest way to invoke undefined behavior is to simply convert the value to the underlying type and ignore potential issues (at least gcc does this). If your program is 100% ub free C++ conforming to the standard, the default switch should not be needed.

Personally I think having a default case in a switch is a nice way to catch subtle bugs and good practice, so I can totally see MSVC complaining about it smile.png

Edited by duckflock

C# has a similar behavior, which I thought was odd given .NET's much smaller allowance of undefined behavior.  But accepting that as the way it was, I was recently looking into people's recommendations for what type of exception to throw in C# for the same situation, and I encountered the suggestion to throw a NotImplementedException.  The reasoning being that in the future you (or someone else) might add a new value to the enum, but forget to update every last location in code that switches on that enum.  In that scenario, complaining loudly at runtime that a path hasn't yet been implemented seems appropriate.

Granted, having the compiler complain at compile time that not all paths return a value (or initialize a variable before it is used in C#) is even better, but not all uses of a switch statement would produce that warning/error.  Even if they would, the problematic switch could be in an already compiled executable or library file which is still binary compatible with the expanded enum.  With no chance for the compiler to warn the developer, a noisy runtime error would still be welcome.

Funnily, this is just what I've been asking from C++ (more unspecified and less undefined). Surprised to actually see this, I would habe taken every bet that C++ makes this undefined. Well, good surprise.

I'm not sure it changed.

C++98 just basically said it was whatever the underlying integral type was, and that it behaved as an int or whatever the underlying type was. Many items were listed as "implementation defined" rather than "unspecified". 

The standard is quite clear about this, though: "It is possible to define an enumeration that has values not defined by any of its enumerators."  And I think that is the crux of the warning message about all paths.

Per the standard as of November '14, you invoke undefined behavior if you do this and the value of a is not a valid enum value:

{
   Bar,
   Baz
}

int main() {
	int a;
	return 0;
}
This compiled and ran without warnings in gcc and no dog was shot/poisoned in the process. Maybe the MSVC compiler implements an older version of the standard? Back then foo was an unspecified value of its underlying type, but allowed to be outside of of its value range.

From a compiler standpoint the easiest way to invoke undefined behavior is to simply convert the value to the underlying type and ignore potential issues (at least gcc does this). If your program is 100% ub free C++ conforming to the standard, the default switch should not be needed.

Personally I think having a default case in a switch is a nice way to catch subtle bugs and good practice, so I can totally see MSVC complaining about it :)

I use "treat error as warnings" compilation flag, I originally wanted to ensure that if someone adds a value to an enum then the build will break if a switch is missing an extra case(I prefer compile time error over runtime ones) . But msvc doesn't allow this.

Not sure this is true. As usual in C++, the answer is not immediately obvious. (sigh)

True biggrin.png

[5.2.]9 A value of a scoped enumeration type (7.2) can be explicitly converted to an integral type. [blah bool...] For [the remaining] integral types, the value is unchanged if the original value can be represented by the speci?ed type. Otherwise, the resulting value is unspeci?ed.

Ugh, you're correct. This is why I hate defect reports; they take forever to be incorporated. See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_defects.html#1766,

which proposes:

A value of integral or enumeration type can be explicitly converted to an enumeration type. The value is unchanged if the original value is within the range of the enumeration values (7.2 [dcl.enum]). Otherwise, the resulting value is unspecified (and might not be in that range) behavior is undefined.

The reasoning is that right now statically casting a constant to enum produces a constexpr, which is incorrect if you think about it: several compilers might implement the unspecified value differently, so it is definitely not constexpr. Unspecified is too weak here. This is only a minor nitpick and in fact it will still work in the same way.

To summarize (hopefully I'm right on this one, please correct me if I'm not):

Current Situation for static_cast<Foo>(value):

• if the value is outside of the range of a specified underlying type (e.g. enum class Foo : char) -> undefined behavior.
  • if the enum has not specified a type, its range is defined as the range of a variable that has exactly as many bits as needed to fit the enum values. That is the bmin, bmax part in the standard. Example: (enum class Foo { Bar = 0, Baz = 28 } => range is [0,31] (in 2's complement)
  • what integral type an enum with unspecified underlying type has is implementation defined, but not larger than int unless necessary.
  • if you cast a value to enum and the value was outside of enum's range -> unspecified value.

Right now dogs will be left alone and the result of static_cast<Foo>(FOO_MAX_PLUS_ONE) may hold any value if you do not specify an underlying type.

So this

{
   Bar,
   Baz
};

int main() {
	int a;
	return 0;
}

Is completely fine and will always assign a to foo.

enum class Foo
{
   Bar,
   Baz
};

int main() {
	int a;
	return 0;
}

This is unspecified behavior as of now. Dogs will be left alone, but foo may hold any value after the static cast if a is neither 0 nor 1.

This is especially dangerous, because

enum class Foo {
    Bar,
    Baz
};

constexpr Foo foo = static_cast<Foo>(4);

is perfectly fine and constexpr, even though one compiler may assign 0 to foo and another one -1 and yet another one 4 (most probably all will assign 4).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!