Copyright Questions

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 8 years, 3 months ago
Hello, Sean here,
I have been working hard on an MMORPG that is named but not at all released. For the previous 6 months with my small dev crew have been working hard. The game is 2d. My question is when you copyright a game, do you copyright each version released or is there another way.
Thank you for your help
Advertisement

All creative works are automatically subject to copyright from the moment they are created. Your small dev crew owns the copyright on all of the work they have produced.

You should put a copyright notice on everything you make, even though copyright is automatic.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

do you copyright each version released or is there another way.

Assuming you're in the US, you would register the copyright with the USPTO for every release.

Copyright registration grants additional legal rights for recovering damages beyond those granted automatically when the content is created.

You should also have some good discussions with your business lawyer about all the other protections and concerns you should consider. Trademark registration, coppa compliance and financial regulation compliance immediately spring to mind, your lawyer will discuss more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement