Play my software through a browser

Started by
5 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 8 years, 3 months ago

I am not technical but just bought a software company that has a game-like interface. However, it requires a heavy client download on the users computer. I want to know how to use some of the new technologies...and whether it is possible....to basically set up a set of "computers" in the cloud that have the heavy client on them already....and access and operate the software remotely from only a browser.

Is this possible? And if so...how do I get started to even find folks that can help the development.

Thanks!

Advertisement

You're going to need to find a local expert. Perhaps someone in the company you just bought. There is no turnkey solution, and even if someone's willing to help you with something this complex for free, you're going to get what you pay for.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

There are programs out there that let you stream a program's interface across a web client. They exist and it is possible. I don't know the difficulty nor the costs involved, but it is possible to do it.

All the implementations of that I've seen are a bit laggy and have problems when the screen is doing heavy animations as they do in games. Basically you are streaming a copy of the UI as a video feed and passing back mouse clicks.

This is certainly possibly though I have no personal experience with it. Something like http://onlive.com ran entire games on their servers and just streamed the screen to a user (and input back). I don't know how lag free it was.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

You may find that it cheaper to just rebuild the UI as a web application. It depends on what the current software does and how it is structured, but web UIs tend to be quick/cheap to develop, and streaming from clusters of servers tends to be hellishly expensive.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Sounds like you to set up a vritual desktop.

Either a remote desktop or virtual application. (Just google those, I don't really know what you specifically need, so I advise you to at this yourself).

You can certainly pipe the graphics and input through a browser using tools like others have suggested. But the "right" way to do it is to re-design the game to be playable through the browser. You would need an experienced web game developer (Flash, HTML5, Sliverlight, WebGL, UnityWebPlugin, whatever technology is best for the game) and a developer who is very familiar with the existing architecture of the current game, at the least.

Why do I say thats the "right" way? A proper port from whatever it is now, to a web game will give you the best efficiency, least lag, best overall player experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement