• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
widmowyfox

Cubemap Depth Sample

This topic is 911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I have dynamic cubemap (below) and i need to sample depth from this in shader, with 2d texture i was doing it like that:

struct VertexIn
{
    float3 PosL    : POSITION;
    float3 NormalL : NORMAL;
    float2 Tex     : TEXCOORD;
};

struct VertexOut
{
   float4 PosH : SV_POSITION;
   float2 Tex  : TEXCOORD;
};

VertexOut VS(VertexIn vin)
{
    VertexOut vout;

vout.PosH = mul(float4(vin.PosL, 1.0f), gWorldViewProj);
    vout.Tex  = vin.Tex;

return vout;
}

float4 PS(VertexOut pin, uniform int index) : SV_Target
{
    float4 c = gTexture.Sample(samLinear, pin.Tex).r;

return float4(c.rrr, 1);
}

How can i do that for cubemap like that:

D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC texDesc;
    texDesc.Width = CubeMapSize;
    texDesc.Height = CubeMapSize;
    texDesc.MipLevels = 1;
    texDesc.ArraySize = 6;
    texDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1;
    texDesc.SampleDesc.Quality = 0;
    texDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R24G8_TYPELESS;
    texDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
    texDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET | D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE|D3D11_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL;
    texDesc.CPUAccessFlags = 0;
    texDesc.MiscFlags = D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_GENERATE_MIPS | D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_TEXTURECUBE;

ID3D11Texture2D* cubeTex = 0;
    HR(md3dDevice->CreateTexture2D(&texDesc, 0, &cubeTex));

D3D11_RENDER_TARGET_VIEW_DESC rtvDesc;
    rtvDesc.Format = texDesc.Format;
    rtvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_RTV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2DARRAY;
    rtvDesc.Texture2DArray.ArraySize = 1;
    rtvDesc.Texture2DArray.MipSlice = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < 6; ++i)
    {
        rtvDesc.Texture2DArray.FirstArraySlice = i;
        HR(md3dDevice->CreateRenderTargetView(cubeTex, &rtvDesc, &mDynamicCubeMapRTV[i]));
    }

D3D11_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC srvDesc;
    srvDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R24_UNORM_X8_TYPELESS;
    srvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_SRV_DIMENSION_TEXTURECUBE;
    srvDesc.TextureCube.MostDetailedMip = 0;
srvDesc.TextureCube.MipLevels = 1;

HR(md3dDevice->CreateShaderResourceView(cubeTex, &srvDesc, &mDynamicCubeMapSRV));

D3D11_DEPTH_STENCIL_VIEW_DESC dsvDesc;
    dsvDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT ;
dsvDesc.Flags  = 0;
    dsvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_DSV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2D;
    dsvDesc.Texture2D.MipSlice = 0;
    HR(md3dDevice->CreateDepthStencilView(cubeTex, &dsvDesc, &mDynamicCubeMapDSV));

ReleaseCOM(cubeTex);

mCubeMapViewport.TopLeftX = 0.0f;
    mCubeMapViewport.TopLeftY = 0.0f;
    mCubeMapViewport.Width    = (float)CubeMapSize;
    mCubeMapViewport.Height   = (float)CubeMapSize;
    mCubeMapViewport.MinDepth = 0.0f;
    mCubeMapViewport.MaxDepth = 1.0f;
Edited by MJP

Advertisement

Something tells me you aren't checking your HRESULTs despite having wrapped your Create calls in your HR macro.

texDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET | D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE|D3D11_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL;

It's never valid to have D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET and D3D11_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL at the same time, so this texture won't be created.

You're going to have to explain what exactly isn't working and ask a question that can actually be answered.

Turn on the Debug Layer using D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG and fix any errors first.

Edited by Adam Miles

Thanks for reply. I need to create dynamic cubetexture, but i only need depth, i want to sample this texture in shader for point light shadows. You said 

It's never valid to have D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET and D3D11_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL at the same time, so this texture won't be created.

So how can i achive this? I need to bind render targets to faces and I need depth stencil too.

@Adam Miles

People like me get confused a lot about sampling a depth texture. Not sure if should start a new thread, but I will try here anyway.

Consider this statement. 'A cube texture uses a unit directional vector to sample a location while normal textures need to use projected and scale biased texture coordinates to sample a location'

A cube texture is essentially an array of 2D textures, I believe. Can I 'manually' sample a cube map as I do for normal texture2D. The crucial part here is, since a point light has six depth textures in six directions, to determine which of them six depth textures to use while sampling a location. To determine this I need to find the max coordinate in the direction vector from light source to the location amd use the depth texture in that direction to sample from.

Or, instead of doing all these, we simply specify direction vector to cube texture and be done with it. So my question is, do those two methods give the same results?

If the texture only needs to be used as a depth buffer and as a texture in your shader, then you don't need D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET. That flag is for render targets (SV_TARGET0-7) and is not required for depth buffers.

@Adam Miles

People like me get confused a lot about sampling a depth texture. Not sure if should start a new thread, but I will try here anyway.

Consider this statement. 'A cube texture uses a unit directional vector to sample a location while normal textures need to use projected and scale biased texture coordinates to sample a location'

A cube texture is essentially an array of 2D textures, I believe. Can I 'manually' sample a cube map as I do for normal texture2D. The crucial part here is, since a point light has six depth textures in six directions, to determine which of them six depth textures to use while sampling a location. To determine this I need to find the max coordinate in the direction vector from light source to the location amd use the depth texture in that direction to sample from.

Or, instead of doing all these, we simply specify direction vector to cube texture and be done with it. So my question is, do those two methods give the same results?

Yes, you can sample a CubeTexture (whether it's storing depth or colour) using a 3D normalised unit vector as your 'texture coordinate'. There's no need to manually calculate which face to sample and the 2D coordinate on the face, the hardware does that for you. Sample from the CubeTexture as if it were a sphere: (0,1,0) samples the middle of the +Y face, (0,-1,0) samples the middle of the -Y face etc.

So how can I draw to each cube face without bind render targets to every face?

Can anyone give code which create cube depth texture and example how to draw depth into this texture?

I generally dont understand how one 2d depth stencil view can contain 6 cube face views. If someone could explain it i would be obligated.

Edited by widmowyfox

You don't need a render target to write depth, you just need a depth stencil view. For rendering to the 6 faces separately, you just need 6 depth stencil views that each target a particular face. It's almost exactly like the code that you have for creating the 6 render target views, except that you create depth stencil views:

for(uint32_t i = 0; i < 6; ++i)
{
    D3D11_DEPTH_STENCIL_VIEW_DESC dsvDesc = { };
    dsvDesc.Format = format;
    dsvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_DSV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2DARRAY;
    dsvDesc.Texture2DArray.ArraySize = 1;
    dsvDesc.Texture2DArray.FirstArraySlice = i;
    dsvDesc.Texture2DArray.MipSlice = 0;
    dsvDesc.Flags = 0;
    DXCall(device->CreateDepthStencilView(textureResource, &dsvDesc, &arraySliceDSVs[i]));
}
The other way to do it is to have 1 depth stencil view that targets the entire array, and then use SV_RenderTargetArrayIndex from a geometry shader in order to specify which slice you want to render to. Edited by MJP

The other way to do it is to have 1 depth stencil view that targets the entire array, and then use SV_RenderTargetArrayIndex from either your vertex shader or geometry shader in order to specify which slice you want to render to.

Using SV_RenderTargetArrayIndex from a Vertex Shader is not supported in D3D11, so that won't be an option for the OP.

The other way to do it is to have 1 depth stencil view that targets the entire array, and then use SV_RenderTargetArrayIndex from either your vertex shader or geometry shader in order to specify which slice you want to render to.

Using SV_RenderTargetArrayIndex from a Vertex Shader is not supported in D3D11, so that won't be an option for the OP.

Indeed, thank you for correcting me. Edited by MJP

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!