Sign in to follow this  

Making a portfolio?

This topic is 731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am currently trying to build a portfolio for my game dev (I'm a programmer) and was hoping for some advice from programmers in the industry. I was looking for some tips, or even better some examples of portfolios that I could look at to see what I should be aiming for. When I've looked online in the past, I find very few portfolios from programmers, its mainly just artists. So, if anyone could link some good portfolios that they've seen or even their own, It would be greatly appreciated :) It would also be great if anyone who is or has been involved in hiring in the industry could give me a quick run down on what they look for in a portfolio.

Thanks for any help :) 

Instead of "portfolio," think "code samples." And especially code that runs, and does something (i.e. "demos"). Have you made any game demos?

Instead of "portfolio," think "code samples." And especially code that runs, and does something (i.e. "demos"). Have you made any game demos?

I have a itch.io page that has something I made for a game-jam and a pre-alpha build of a current project. 

(http://jwgames.itch.io/)

I was looking for some tips, or even better some examples of portfolios that I could look at to see what I should be aiming for.

Personally I like to see links to projects that contain a video of the project and a link to code samples.  Even better if that link is to an active public github account.

If the person doesn't have a link to a public github account -- I know I don't share mine -- I'll take code some code samples that show how the person implemented a few algorithms.

If they still don't have anything, I'll ask them to make their own container class using a tree or heap internally with the typical insert/read/update/delete/find operations.  Just something that shows they can handle plain old boring data manipulations.  Sadly a surprising number of applicants struggle with that sort of thing.

This topic is 731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.