Making a portfolio?

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 8 years, 3 months ago

Hi, I am currently trying to build a portfolio for my game dev (I'm a programmer) and was hoping for some advice from programmers in the industry. I was looking for some tips, or even better some examples of portfolios that I could look at to see what I should be aiming for. When I've looked online in the past, I find very few portfolios from programmers, its mainly just artists. So, if anyone could link some good portfolios that they've seen or even their own, It would be greatly appreciated :) It would also be great if anyone who is or has been involved in hiring in the industry could give me a quick run down on what they look for in a portfolio.

Thanks for any help :)

Advertisement
Instead of "portfolio," think "code samples." And especially code that runs, and does something (i.e. "demos"). Have you made any game demos?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Instead of "portfolio," think "code samples." And especially code that runs, and does something (i.e. "demos"). Have you made any game demos?

I have a itch.io page that has something I made for a game-jam and a pre-alpha build of a current project.

(http://jwgames.itch.io/)

I was looking for some tips, or even better some examples of portfolios that I could look at to see what I should be aiming for.

Personally I like to see links to projects that contain a video of the project and a link to code samples. Even better if that link is to an active public github account.

If the person doesn't have a link to a public github account -- I know I don't share mine -- I'll take code some code samples that show how the person implemented a few algorithms.

If they still don't have anything, I'll ask them to make their own container class using a tree or heap internally with the typical insert/read/update/delete/find operations. Just something that shows they can handle plain old boring data manipulations. Sadly a surprising number of applicants struggle with that sort of thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement