• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RedBeard101

Resolving collisions with enums

This topic is 903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, just looking for some suggestions on how to resolve collisions in my game engine. 

Here's what I'm working with:

I have a spatial partition of GameObjects, where I do my collision detection. If a collision is detected, A Resolution object is returned with the following format:

struct Resolution{

unsigned int colBoxA;   //Index of collision box within object

unsigned int colBoxB;

//One or two trival members not important here

};

1. I iterate through all the Partition buckets to test for collisions.

2. I have a Map container which stores all the Resolution objects. To ensure each collision is unique they key for the map is

a pair of both GameObject_ID's, and the value is the Resolution object. 

3. colBoxA and colBoxB are indices to AABB's that reside in each object. Let's say ObjectA has two collision boxes: A hitbox and a shield, while ObjectB has a single collision box: a projectile. So an entry in my Resolution container has information on which two objects are colliding, and on which respective collisionbox.

4.  Each Collisionbox has an enumerated type associated with it (Wall,projectile,hitbox,melee) etc.....

I want to resolve the collision based on both the types associated with the collision, and apply the result correctly to each object. I've looked around,  and it seems like I should be using some type of Strategy Pattern. By not using this, it looks like I am facing nested switches (not going to happen). Even with the Strategy Pattern, I am unsure on how to implement this.

Any advice or similar documentation would be greatly appreciated :)

Advertisement

Hey all, just looking for some suggestions on how to resolve collisions in my game engine. 

Here's what I'm working with:

I have a spatial partition of GameObjects, where I do my collision detection. If a collision is detected, A Resolution object is returned with the following format:

struct Resolution{

unsigned int colBoxA;   //Index of collision box within object

unsigned int colBoxB;

//One or two trival members not important here

};

1. I iterate through all the Partition buckets to test for collisions.

2. I have a Map container which stores all the Resolution objects. To ensure each collision is unique they key for the map is

a pair of both GameObject_ID's, and the value is the Resolution object. 

3. colBoxA and colBoxB are indices to AABB's that reside in each object. Let's say ObjectA has two collision boxes: A hitbox and a shield, while ObjectB has a single collision box: a projectile. So an entry in my Resolution container has information on which two objects are colliding, and on which respective collisionbox.

4.  Each Collisionbox has an enumerated type associated with it (Wall,projectile,hitbox,melee) etc.....

I want to resolve the collision based on both the types associated with the collision, and apply the result correctly to each object. I've looked around,  and it seems like I should be using some type of Strategy Pattern. By not using this, it looks like I am facing nested switches (not going to happen). Even with the Strategy Pattern, I am unsure on how to implement this.

Any advice or similar documentation would be greatly appreciated smile.png

A simple solution would be to use a 2d array for the collision type. This can be a const fixed array or a dynamic array created on the game initialization process. This would look like this (I use this for my contact generators - copied from my java source):

public final class ContactGeneratorFactory {
	private final int MAX_GENERATORS_PER_SHAPE = ShapeType.COUNT.id;
	private final ContactGenerator[][] generators = new ContactGenerator[MAX_GENERATORS_PER_SHAPE][MAX_GENERATORS_PER_SHAPE];

public ContactGeneratorFactory() {
		generators[ShapeType.Plane.id][ShapeType.Circle.id] = new PlaneCircleContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Plane.id][ShapeType.Box.id] = new PlaneEdgeContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Plane.id][ShapeType.Polygon.id] = new PlaneEdgeContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.LineSegment.id][ShapeType.Circle.id] = new EdgeCircleContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.LineSegment.id][ShapeType.Box.id] = new EdgeEdgeContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.LineSegment.id][ShapeType.Polygon.id] = new EdgeEdgeContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Box.id][ShapeType.Circle.id] = new EdgeCircleContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Box.id][ShapeType.Box.id] = new EdgeEdgeContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Box.id][ShapeType.Polygon.id] = new EdgeEdgeContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Polygon.id][ShapeType.Circle.id] = new EdgeCircleContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Polygon.id][ShapeType.Polygon.id] = new EdgeEdgeContactGenerator();
		generators[ShapeType.Circle.id][ShapeType.Circle.id] = new CircleCircleContactGenerator();
	}

public int generate(Transform transformA, Transform transformB, Shape shapeA, Shape shapeB, int offset, Contact[] contacts, ContactAcceptor acceptor) {
		int result = 0;

// Sort shape types
		boolean flip = false;
		ShapeType typeA = shapeA.type;
		ShapeType typeB = shapeB.type;
		if (typeA.id > typeB.id) {
			ShapeType temp = typeA;
			typeA = typeB;
			typeB = temp;
			flip = true;
		}

// Find generator by both shape type id´s
		ContactGenerator generator = generators[typeA.id][typeB.id];
		if (generator != null) {
			// do something with the found generator
		}
	}
}

You just create classes based on some simple CollisionResponse interface and create instances for every possible pairs.

Important: The order of your object collision enumeration matters, see:

public enum ShapeType {
	Plane(1),
	LineSegment(2),
	Box(3),
	Polygon(4),
	Circle(5),
	COUNT(6);

public final int id;

private ShapeType(int id) {
		this.id = id;
	}
}
Edited by Finalspace

I would like to see those solutions you have found... Bullet (industry-wide used rigid body dynamics API) just allocates one bit for each group of collision-able types and then masks the two things together. Using bitmasks is of course inconvenient but you can abstract them a bit. I recall the filtering routines being fairly simple, maybe you can take a stab at the source code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!