• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sensate

OpenGL Detecting Boundaries in triangles with adjacency

This topic is 1038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been working with geometry shaders and triangles with adjacency for a number of years.

I only just had the case where I want to detect boundaries (-1 in indices 1, 3, 5, given triangle with adjacency indices 0,1,2,3,4,5)...

I am wondering what the input assembler does with invalid (value -1) indices and what is the best way to go about detecting them would be?

I haven't found anything in the OpenGL or D3D11 docs regarding this, and a few tests including:

- Comparing epsilon in distance(input[index0], index[index0+1]) < 1e-6f (I.e., for edge 0, indices 0, 1)

- Comparing epsilon in distance(input[index2], index[index0+1]) < 1e-6f (I.e., for edge 0, indices 2, 1)

- Comparing epsilon in distance(input[index0+1], input[index2+1])) < 1e-6f (I.e., for edge 0, indices 1 and 3).

- Testing for NAN in incoming positions in indices 1, 3, 5. I.e., input[index0+1].worldPosition != input[index0+1].worldPosition, or isnan(input[index0+1].x)

These tests haven't yielded any output for what should be boundary indices.

Obviously, I can scan my adjacency buffer on the system side for -1, and set invalid adjacency indices to [index-1], but I'm now kinda curious as to what the input assembler is doing.

Does anyone know how to test for this?

Adjacency Ref:

adjacencies.jpg

Edited by TheKreature

Advertisement

In D3D11 a index of -1 has a special meaning (see here, last paragraph "Generating Multiple Strips"). IIRC in OpenGL you can define that value arbitrarily. I wonder if you even get something in the geometry shader then, since it operates on primitives. If that is the case, try another number, e.g. -2.

You can grab the index in the vertex shader with SV_VertexID and pass it along. Maybe that helps.

You can grab the index in the vertex shader with SV_VertexID and pass it along. Maybe that helps.

Interesting thought.

The vertex shader would only run on vertices present in the vertex buffer though :p.

What I'm really interested in is what the gpu does with indices that are -1 when forming the input vertices for triangleadj:

[maxvertexcount(MAX_VERTEX_COUNT)]
void gs( triangleadj vertex input[6], inout TriangleStream<vertex> triStream )

Mind you, this approach would definitely be a faster method of testing if I were to replace the -1 adjacency indices with index-1 when I compute the adjacency buffer.

for (uint id = 0; id<6; id+=2)
{
    uint index0 = (uint)fmod( id, 6.0f );
    if (input[index0].vertexId == input[index0+1].vertexId)
        emitLine();
}

I finally found some time to check on this.

For the curious:

My assumption that -1 was being set for invalid adjacency indices was incorrect.

For invalid adjacencies, DirectXMesh will set invalid adjacency indices to:

indicesAdj[ outputi ] = indices[ face * 3 + ( ( point+2 ) % 3 ) ];

The boundary check is: 

uint invalidAdjId = ( uint )fmod( ( index1+4 ), 6.0f );
if ( vecDistance( worldPosition[ index1+1 ], worldPosition[ invalidAdjId ] ) < 1e-6f )
    emitLine();

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!